The Home Depot: Returns Made Easy
Our goal is that you are completely satisfied with your purchase. We take pride in the quality of the products we sell and offering great customer service is our top priority. If you are not completely satisfied with your purchase, please follow the guidelines detailed below and we will be happy to help you to return your purchase.
Online Return Policy
Online Return Policy
Most merchandise can be returned within 90 days of purchase unless noted in our Return Policy Exceptions. Refunds will be issued to the original form of payment (credit card, Pay Pal, etc.). Original shipping charges will be deducted from the refund unless the return is the result of an error by Homedepot.com. Please note bundled items need to be returned with all components for a full refund.
Online Return Options
Return to Store
For your convenience, items purchased on homedepot.com can be returned to any of our retail stores nationwide.
• Credit will be issued at time of return and no return shipping charges will be incurred. *
• To enable quick processing of your return, please bring with you a copy of your bar coded shipping confirmation email or the credit card used to make the purchase.
For most orders delivered by UPS or Fed Ex, you can use the enclosed small parcel return label to mail your return. Alternately, you can arrange to return on your own, using the address specified on the return label.**
• Credit will be issued at the time the merchandise is received in our warehouse. *
• Return shipping costs will be the responsibility of the customer unless the return is the result of an error by Homedepot.com.
Preparing your Return by Mail
• Fill out and include with your return the Return Form located on the lower section of your packing slip.
• Pack the item carefully in the original packaging.
• Affix the UPS returns label over the top of the original shipping label. Keep a copy of the tracking number on this label for future reference.
• Bring the package to any UPS location near you.
If you are returning more than one item, please make sure that they are all to be returned to the same location to ensure credit is applied accurately. If you have any questions about the return location address, please contact Online Customer Support at 1-800-430-3376.
Live goods and products with flammable liquids or gases must be returned to our stores. Please see the Online Return Policy Exceptions for details.
If you need assistance with the return of larger items, or if you have any other questions, please contact Online Customer Support at 1-800-430-3376.
*Please note that, depending on the form of payment tendered, it may take 2-10 business days after your credit is applied for it to post to your account
**All Alaska and Hawaii non-UPS returns must be returned to a retail store.
Online Return Policy Exceptions
Damaged Items and Shortage Claims: Any damaged or missing items must be reported to Online Customer Support within 30 days of delivery by calling 1-800-430-3376.
Returning Products Containing Hazardous Materials: Due to safety hazards, items that use flammable liquids or gases cannot be returned through the mail, even if the item was drained of these materials. This would include items like lawn mowers, leaf blowers and any other items that use flammable liquids or gases. Please return products containing hazardous materials to your local The Home Depot store.
Live Goods: Perennials, trees and shrubs have a one-year guarantee. Live goods purchased online including houseplants, perennials, trees, holiday trees, wreaths and garlands, that are received damaged or dead, please contact Online Customer Support at 1-800-430-3376 within 3 days of delivery and we will promptly ship a replacement at no charge. Exceptions to this policy include cut flowers and floral arrangements.
Cut Flowers and Floral Arrangements: Cut flowers and floral arrangements are non-refundable and non-returnable. If you have received an arrangement that is defective or does not meet your expectations, contact Online Customer Support at 1-800-430-3376 to have a replacement sent to you at no-charge.
Generators: Generators must be returned within 30 days of purchase. Any product damage or defects must be reported within 30 days of purchase. IMPORTANT: Whole house generators or stationary generators are non-returnable and non-refundable.
Gift Cards: The Home Depot Gift Cards are non-returnable and cannot be redeemed or exchanged for cash (unless required by law), check or credit. Gift Cards may not be used as payment on any credit or loan account or for Tool Rental deposits.
Consumer Electronics: Televisions and computers must be returned within 30 days of purchase.
Furniture: Furniture must be returned within 30 days of purchase. Any product damaged or defective must be reported within 30 days of purchase.
Blinds: Custom-made blinds that are not identified as "Guaranteed To Fit" are not returnable. If you have received incorrect product, please call 1-800-921-2119 for a replacement.
Major Appliances: Any Major Appliance product damage must be reported within 48 hours of delivery by calling 1-800-455-3869. After 48 hours, any product issues must be handled through your local The Home Depot store’s Special Services Desk. Be sure to bring a copy of your sales receipt with you.
Gas Powered Equipment and Tractors: Gas powered equipment and tractors must be returned within 30 days of purchase.
John Deere Tractors: Repairs will be made under the manufacturer’s warranty. Please contact Online Customer Support at 1-800-430-3376 for further information.
Wallpaper, Paint & Flooring Samples: Wallpaper and flooring samples are not returnable. However, if you believe you have received an incorrect sample, please call Online Customer Support at 1-800-430-3376 for a replacement.
Utility Trailers: Utility trailers are not returnable.
Custom Products: Custom made products, such as paint samples, are not returnable. If you have received an incorrect sample, please contact Online Customer Support at 1-800-430-3376 for a replacement.
In-Store Purchase Return Exceptions
• Purchases made with store credit, gift certificates and Gift Cards will be refunded as store credit. Store credits cannot be used to purchase Gift Cards.
• Gasoline-powered equipment may be returned within 30 days of purchase with a valid sales receipt. After 30 days, item may be sent out for repair at the customer's expense, unless covered under warranty.
• Special order returns are subject to 15% restocking fee. Cancellations may be subject to 15% restocking fee. See Special Services Desk at your local store for details.
• Cash and cash equivalent purchases, exceeding $1,000, may be refunded as mail check. Checks are mailed from The Home Depot's Store Support Center in Atlanta, GA.
• Receipts for purchases made with credit, debit or check within the last 90 days may be located in our system. Ask a store associate about receipt look up.
• The Home Depot reserves the right to limit or refuse to accept the return of merchandise at any time and for any reason.
• Items purchased at The Home Depot U.S., The Home Depot Canada or The Home Depot Mexico may not be returned across borders.
• Returns of merchandise after 90 days in Massachusetts and Connecticut, and after 120 days in Rhode Island from the date of original purchase with a receipt: Sales tax will NOT be refunded. Customers will be issued credit for the purchase price of the item(s) only. NOTE: Even exchanges of merchandise are not affected by this rule.
• Customer Agreement purchases must be returned to the same store location where originally purchased.
• Sorry, Returns Not Available on the Following Products: Custom made products and custom tinted paint, utility trailers, Gift Cards, Gift Certificates and Store Credits.