The Home Depot: Returns Made Easy
Our goal is that you are completely satisfied with your purchase. We take pride in the quality of the products we sell and offering great customer service is our top priority. If you are not completely satisfied with your purchase, please follow the guidelines detailed below and we will be happy to help you to return your purchase.
Returns for items purchased on Homedepot.com:
OUR ONLINE RETURN POLICY
Online Return Policy Basics
For your convenience, items purchased on homedepot.com can be returned to any of our retail stores nationwide. *
• Credit will be issued immediately and no return shipping charges will be incurred.
• To enable quick processing of your return, please bring a copy of your order confirmation email, or the packing slip that was included with your order to the store.
Alternatively, there are several methods available to return directly to our .com warehouse. Refer to the "4 Easy Ways to Return Your Online Order" section below for more details.
• For returns to our Distribution Center, include the lower section of your packing slip (return information).
A refund will be issued to the original form of payment:
• If returned to the store, credit will be issued at the time of return and no return shipping charges will be incurred by you.
• If returned to the .com warehouse, credit will be issued at the time the return is received in our warehouse.
• Original shipping charges will be refunded if there was an error on the part of homedepot.com.
Merchandise can be returned within 90 days of purchase unless noted in our Return Policy Exceptions. Live goods and products with flammable liquids or gases (hazmat items) must be returned to our stores. Please see the complete list of Return Policy Exceptions below.
*All Alaska and Hawaii non-UPS returns must be returned to a retail store.
Online Return Policy and Product Exceptions
Return Policy Exceptions:
Damaged Items and Shortage Claims: Any damaged or missing items must be reported within 30 days of delivery by calling 1-800-430-3376.
Returning Products Containing Hazardous Materials Due to safety hazards, items that use flammable liquids or gases cannot be returned through the mail, even if the item was drained of these materials. This would include items like lawn mowers, leaf blowers and any other items that use flammable liquids or gases. Please return products containing hazardous materials to your local The Home Depot store.
Live Goods: Live goods purchased online including houseplants, perennials, trees, holiday trees, wreaths and garlands, that are received damaged or dead, please call 1-800-430-3376 within 3 days of delivery and we will promptly ship a replacement at no charge.
Perennials, trees and shrubs have a one-year guarantee.
Exceptions to this policy include cut flowers and floral arrangements.
Cut Flowers and Floral Arrangements: Cut flowers and floral arrangements are non-refundable and non-returnable.
If you have received an arrangement that is defective or does not meet your expectations, contact Customer Service at 1-800-430-3376 to have the replacement cut flowers/floral arrangement sent to you at no-charge.
Generators: Generators must be returned within 30 days of delivery. Any product damage or defects must be reported within 30 days of delivery.
IMPORTANT: Whole house generators or stationary generators are non-returnable and non-refundable.
Gift Cards: The Home Depot Gift Cards are non-returnable and cannot be redeemed or exchanged for cash (unless required by law), check or credit. Gift Cards may not be used as payment on any credit or loan account or for Tool Rental deposits.
Consumer Electronics: Televisions and computers must be returned within 30 days of delivery.
Furniture: Furniture must be returned within 30 days of delivery.
Any product damaged or defective must be reported within 30 days of delivery.
Major Appliances: Any Major Appliance product damage must be reported within 48 hours of delivery by calling 1-800-455-3869.
After 48 hours, any product issues must be handled through your local The Home Depot store’s Special Services Desk. Be sure to bring a copy of your sales receipt with you.
Gas Powered Equipment and Tractors: Gas powered equipment and tractors must be returned within 30 days of delivery.
John Deere tractors will be repaired under the manufacturer’s warranty; please contact the homedepot.com Online Customer Care Team at 1-800-435-4654 for further information between 6 a.m. - 2 a.m. ET, seven days a week (closed Christmas Day).
Wallpaper, Paint & Flooring Samples: Wallpaper and flooring samples are not returnable. However, if you believe you have received an incorrect sample, please call 1-800-430-3376 for a replacement.
Utility Trailers: Utility trailers are not returnable.
Custom Products: Custom made products, such as paint samples, are not returnable. If you have received an incorrect sample, please call 1-800-430-3376 for a replacement.
Frequently Asked Questions About Online Returns
Can I return my homedepot.com purchase to a Home Depot store?
Items purchased on homedepot.com can be returned to the store. Bring your shipment confirmation email, order confirmation email or packing slip for ease of return. Most products have a 90-day-from-purchase return policy, but refer to the Policy Exception list below for specific category exceptions.
How long will it take for me to receive a credit once I return an item?
* Return to a Home Depot store: Credit is processed to your account immediately upon return.
*Return to a .com warehouse: Credit is issued upon receipt and processing of the return in our .com warehouse.
Are original and return shipping charges refundable?
Original shipping charges as well as any return shipping charges will be refunded if there was an error on the part of homedepot.com.
What if my return was a gift to me?
A Home Depot gift card will be issued to you upon return of any gift.
Where can I drop off a return using the UPS return label that was enclosed with my order?
Packages can be dropped off at UPS locations including drop boxes, The UPS Store, Mail Boxes, Etc. or can be given directly to a UPS driver. For a listing of UPS locations in your area, please visit UPS.com.
How do I return a product that is too large or heavy to be returned via small parcel (UPS, FedEx, USPS, etc.)?
If you cannot return larger items to your local Home Depot store, please call an online Customer Care Specialist at 1-800-430-3376 seven days a week: 6 a.m. - 2 a.m. ET (closed Christmas Day). The Online Customer Care Specialist will arrange pick up from your home.
If I have a question about a return, who do I contact?
If, at any time, you have questions about your return, please call our homedepot.com Online Customer Support at 1-800-430-3376 seven days a week: 6 a.m. - 2 a.m. ET (closed Christmas Day).
If I live in Hawaii or Alaska, how do I return product?
If the item shipped UPS, you may return your product using the UPS return label that was enclosed with your order or return it to a local retail store. Otherwise, please return your order to a local retail store and you will be issued immediate credit.
4 easy ways to prepare the return for your online order:
1. Return the item(s) to a Home Depot store nearest you: Bring the item(s) with a copy of your bar-coded shipment confirmation e-mail to your local Home Depot. Alternatively, you could provide the Order Confirmation email or the Packing Slip to aid in efficient processing. Credit will be issued immediately to your original form of tender (credit card, Pay Pal, etc.).
2. Return the item(s) using the small parcel return label included in most orders: Complete the return form located at the bottom of the packing slip that came with your order and include a copy of this form with your return. Pack the item carefully in the original packaging. Affix the UPS returns label over the top of the original shipping label. Please keep a copy of the tracking number on this label for future reference. Bring the package to any UPS location near you. Return freight costs for customer remorse returns will be charged to your credit card. If you are returning more than one item, please make sure that they were shipped from the same original location. Items must be returned to the shipping origin for credit to be issued accurately to the customer. Credit will be issued at the time the return is received in our warehouse.
3. Call: For larger items that cannot ship small parcel or for any other questions, please call an online Customer Care Specialist at 1-800-430-3376 seven days a week: 6 a.m. - 2 a.m. ET (closed Christmas Day).
4. Return the item(s) via the shipment method (UPS, FedEx, USPS, etc.) of your choice: You may choose to return the item to our .com warehouse at your own expense. Complete the return form located at the bottom of the packing slip that came with your order and include a copy of this form with your return. Pack the item carefully in the original packaging. Ship the item(s) to the address on the original shipping label or on the enclosed return label. If you are uncertain about the address, please contact Online Customer Care at 1-800-430-3376. If you are returning more than one item, please make sure that they were shipped from the same original location. Items must be returned to the shipping origin for credit to be issued accurately to the customer. Credit will be issued at the time the return is received in our warehouse.
Returns for items purchased at a The Home Depot Store:
OUR STORE RETURN POLICY
Our Store Return Policy Basics
Returns within 90 days of purchase and with a valid sales receipt will be exchanged, refunded in cash, credited to your account or refunded via The Home Depot store credit.
Return and Product Exceptions
• Purchases made with store credit, gift certificates and Gift Cards will be refunded as store credit. Store credits cannot be used to purchase Gift Cards.
• Gasoline-powered equipment may be returned within 30 days of purchase with a valid sales receipt. After 30 days, item may be sent out for repair at the customer's expense, unless covered under warranty.
• Special order returns are subject to 15% restocking fee. Cancellations may be subject to 15% restocking fee. See Special Services Desk at your local store for details.
• Cash and cash equivalent purchases, exceeding $1,000, may be refunded as mail check. Checks are mailed from The Home Depot's Store Support Center in Atlanta, GA.
• Receipts for purchases made with credit, debit or check within the last 90 days may be located in our system. Ask a store associate about receipt look up.
• The Home Depot reserves the right to limit or refuse to accept the return of merchandise at any time and for any reason.
• Items purchased at The Home Depot U.S., The Home Depot Canada or The Home Depot Mexico may not be returned across borders.
• Returns of merchandise after 90 days in Massachusetts and Connecticut, and after 120 days in Rhode Island from the date of original purchase with a receipt: Sales tax will NOT be refunded. Customers will be issued credit for the purchase price of the item(s) only. NOTE: Even exchanges of merchandise are not affected by this rule.
• Customer Agreement purchases must be returned to the same store location where originally purchased.
• Sorry, Returns Not Available on the Following Products: Custom made products and custom tinted paint, utility trailers, Gift Cards, Gift Certificates and Store Credits.