Get the new kitchen you've always wanted with an affordable facelift
A newly remodeled kitchen may seem out of your budget, but you can make several low-cost changes that have a big impact. This guide will show you some easy, money-saving kitchen update ideas that will improve the look and function of your kitchen without putting a dent in your wallet.
WHAT YOU NEED FOR THIS PROJECT
• Renew the life of your existing wood or laminate cabinetry by painting or refinishing them.
• You can also hire The Home Depot Home Services to refresh your cabinets.
• Giving your walls a facelift changes the look and feel of your kitchen.
• You can go for a drastic change with a completely different color choice for your walls, or go subtle with newly painted borders and accents.
• Even just a fresh coat of your kitchen’s current paint color can brighten up the room to repair any fading or stains that have accumulated over time.
• A new high-efficiency faucet will reduce your water bill while conserving water.
• Look for a style you love, since a faucet is one of the most-used fixtures in any kitchen.
Look for features like dual, triple or extra-deep basins and integral chopping boards, especially if you're an avid cook or aspire to become one.
• Reduce the amount of kitchen waste you create by installing an under-sink garbage disposal unit.
• Finely chopping food waste and flushing it down the drain will reduce the volume and odor of your trash.
Installing a new Energy Star-rated dishwasher cuts hot water use to save you energy while fighting messy sink clutter — or the visual distraction and higher energy consumption of a dated-looking older appliance.
If it's too much of a budget strain to replace this major appliance, consider giving your fridge a new look with spray paint or metallic contact paper.
• Replace heavily stained, chipped or scratched countertops for a fresh look.
• Butcher block, stone, composite, stainless steel and laminate are all great options that will instantly update your space.
Brighten up for a more cheerful, efficient kitchen. Swap tired-looking lighting and put new overheads and pendants on dimmer switches to improve ambience and energy efficiency.
• Get a new floor in less than one weekend with click-in floating laminate flooring, which you can take with you if you move.
• Or put down a runner or area rug to increase visual appeal and comfort underfoot.