Here's how to prepare the perfect foundation for plants and flowers to thrive in any space
Containers add color and greenery to areas like porches, decks and patios. Container plants and flowers can even transform the front entrance of your home by adding a burst of rich color for an added dash of curb appeal.
WHAT YOU NEED FOR THIS PROJECT
Start with potting soil to ensure the best moisture content to stimulate growth of your plants.
• Clean containers by washing them in soapy water and thoroughly rinsing them before planting.
• If using a new clay pot, soak it in a bucket of water for 15 minutes to prevent the clay from wicking water away from the potting soil.
• Put a plant in your container.
• Add top-quality potting soil and allow at least ½ to 1 inches below the top of the container for water to puddle when watering.
• Thoroughly water the plant and place it in a shady or sheltered place for a day or two to avoid stressing the plant.
• Consider setting a container inside a larger one (double potting) and using soil, moss or mulch to insulate the smaller container from heat and cold.