Rated 5.0 out of 5 by 2
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by LAXDad Highly Recommend - Great value and quality
Purchased this shed in order to save a couple thousand $ over what a local company wanted to charge for a comparable product. I was not disappointed! Delivered earlier than the estimated date. Top quality materials. Easy to follow directions. Did have a question about one step and called customer support. They were fantastic... Answered my questions immediately and in a way that made sense.
Some information that is available but I'll make it clear here... The window kit is optional. It dose not come with the base package. The roofing material is your responsibility and does not come with the kit. This is probably because different areas have different codes and requirements. I have seen people complain about these points but it it stated if you do your research. I saw it listed that you would need 11 packages of shingles. It only took me 9. Not sure if I just wasted less or what the difference was, but I have 2 to return.
Read / follow the directions and don't assume you know a better way to build it. The directions are just about perfect. Some tips I would give:
• Double check the lap side of the siding before cutting the loft doors out. For whatever reason my siding was reversed. Not a big deal but I had to swap the cut pieces on the doors.
• When installing the roof use a piece of scrap wood as a spacer in the trusses to make sure they don't shift at all. If they do shift the OSB panels will not fit right for nailing.
• Install the front gable trim before you do the shingles. Directions show it after but it would have been much easier without the roofing nails already through.
• If you have to install it on footers and elevated on any side (my ground was extremely uneven) I would suggest using 1 16 ft 4x4 runner for the floor instead of the 2 8ft ones provided. Still will require support in the middle but gives you a little more flexibility instead of having to position that support right on the joint between the 2 4x4's.
• All the nails/screws are probably there, just not in the same bag. Make sure to pull all the hardware out and sort it before you assume a certain size screw is missing and you run out to buy a box only to find them later.
• Add extra support for the loft where the OSB seams are. The extra 2x4s from the pallets are perfect for that is it greatly increases the stability of the loft floor when you are walking around and putting the roof together.
The only bad thing about the instructions was that (to us) they seemed to get less clear toward the end. They were still correct but just needed to read them several times to understand what I was supposed to do. But that's where the support number comes in.
Took me (working mostly on my own with using the kids as gophers) 2 months to get it finished but that was also only working weekends when the kids activities allowed and having reduced daylight for the fall/winter. I work slow. I could see where 2 people that know what they are doing and working at a good pace could have this up in a couple weekends max. Just the use of a nail gun as opposed to hammering by hand would have cut my time 50% at least.
Overall a great product and have already recommended it to several people, including one guy who happened to see me building it and just stopped by because he is looking to put something up.
January 6, 2016
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by JAM1 Very good quality materials with easy to follow instructions.
Overall, a great quality product and excellent price. I had an estimate from a trusted private contractor to stick build a similar shed for $6000, so building this kit myself saved about $2400 (you must buy your own shingles for about $400). The picture on the website shows a window, but no window was supplied in the kit, so adding window(s) will be an additional cost. It says "optional" window on website, but it did not give me the window option when I ordered. Also, paint will be an additional cost. The only other negatives I have about this product are the shipping method and packing. The shed kit arrived in about a week in two shipments right on time, and both deliverymen were polite and professional. The first shipment was the flooring kit directly from home depot, and the deliveryman had a forklift that he used to take the materials to the back of my property where the shed would be located. The second shipment of joists, siding, roofing, etc. came via tractor trailer (2600 lbs), but the deliveryman only had a power jack and could only move the material to the end of my paved driveway at the front of my property; therefore, I had to move most of the kit myself to the shed location which was very labor intensive and time consuming. In my opinion, both shipments should have been delivered on trucks equipped with forklifts. Another problem was the the siding and roofing were packed backwards in that I had to move all of the roofing from the packing to access the siding during the construction process which wasted more time and energy. Overall, however, I am very satisfied with the kit's quality and price and would recommend buying this product if you have the time and energy to build it yourself.
August 14, 2012