Rated 4.2 out of 5 by 182
Rated 1.0 out of 5.0 by Orgad Bought this aerator, actually I bought the 48 inch model. I was going to use it this weekend, unfortunately the item came with the bolts and nuts all over the place, large pieces missing and lots of scratches on the metal parts. It looks like someone tried to put it together and gave up. I'm not happy with recieving a used product online! It wasted my plan for the weekend. The return to the local home depot store was no problem.
September 24, 2016
Rated 1.0 out of 5.0 by SJN Horrible Engineering
I am a specialty contractor that only deals with windows and doors so I'm mechanically inclined to say the least. What an unbelievable piece of garbage this is. The directions don't even match the product!!! After all was assembled...... and holes bored out for the control lever so it actually functioned.... You literally have to get off the mower every time you want to raise the aerator! There are multiple other ways the design could have accommodated this function differently. Sorry folks, this one is better left at Home Depot!! Save your hard earned money and look for something else!
October 7, 2016
Rated 4.0 out of 5.0 by Spartan35 Works Great, Assembly is a pain
Product was a good price and works great. Two things I did not like: 1) assembly is a huge pain. This thing is totally un-assembled, and it takes a long time to put together. Not hard, directions are good, but there's a lot of parts and it takes about 2 hours easily. 2) You cannot reach the lever/handle to raise and lower the aerator without getting off the lawn tractor. Since most lawn tractors have a switch that shuts them off when you get up, that's kind of difficult.
October 18, 2016
Rated 3.0 out of 5.0 by Gordon Faulty manufacturing, but was rectified.
The tray - principle backbone element of the aerator - was mis-shaped and would not allow assembly. However it was replaced promptly and at no cost when I called Brinley. Assembly was straightforward except for the aerator tines which are assembled using very tight anti-vibration nuts. I was fortunately able to use a pneumatic driver to tighten them, but without such a tool or maybe a tough hammer-drill it would be quite difficult.
I have not used it yet to aerate the lawn, but other reviewers agree that it works pretty well.
I deducted two stars because of the faulty manufacturing, and the difficult assembly of the tines.
September 27, 2016
Rated 3.0 out of 5.0 by PtTe2 OK, but not the professional grade!
Mine came with all the parts. It took me about 2 hrs. to assemble. I loaded 2-60lb. bags of sand and went at it. Where the soil is very damp (above my septic), the machine pulled about 1-1/2" to 2" cores. Anywhere else that it pulled cores, they were about 1". I water the lawn and my area which received all day sun and did it again. It then pulled about 1/2" to 1" cores in that area.
So, it's not the machine the professionals use, but it does pull small cores.
I don't believe the wheels could be raised high enough (axle bolt hits mounting plate) to allow a true 3" plug? I guess it's OK and if you live where the soils is wetter, my guess is it would do a good job.
I like the sturdy construction.
May 8, 2016
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by StevJ free assembly
Aerator works as expected. I recommend using the free assembly policy of Home Depot. This made this purchase a great value
October 18, 2016
Rated 1.0 out of 5.0 by WhoIsJohnGalt Poor quality all the way around, Very lightweight
I thought this would be a great bargain, but it turned out to be an exercise in frustration.
1. The spacing and placement of the tines was too wide. For our clay soils in North Carolina, the tines barely scratched the surface. SO I had to make three or four passes to prep for overseeding
2. Weight limit is too low. With 150 pounds of weight, the tines barely pushed through grass and into the ground. Even with 300 pounds of weight (double the rated capacity), the tines would only cut in about 1-2 inches.
3. Tines are too narrow. I compared the tines on this to the tines on a beefier model available for rent. The tines one this were TINY. So the few plug holes that were made were not large enough for seed and nutrients to fall in...and probably not much air getting to the roots
4. The handle for raising/lowering the wheels never worked right. There is a small pin that is supposed to fit into a hole on the handle to hold the wheels up during aerating- that pin is way too short given how much rattling around an aerator does. So the handle popped off the pin within seconds (I remedied that by tying the handle in place with a nylon tie-down strap. Also the handle was too thin and was very flexible (you could see it flop side to side) so it was never usable from the driver's seat.
5. The brackets that the wheels were mounted to splayed outward after the first usage...even before I put on my extra weights.
The one good thing about this whole experience: the stainless steel bolts. Before I sent this to the metal recycle bin, I took the time to salvage the bolts and nuts...they were useful and good quality.
October 12, 2016
Rated 4.0 out of 5.0 by bird Missing parts/product well built once had parts for finishing assembly.
I read reviews on this product prior to purchasing and doing my own aeration for the first time. One of the constant issues in reviews showed the lack of all parts for assembly of the product being included. I assumed (will leave it at that) the problem had been corrected--wrong. The nylon parts (6 of them) that go between the axle and the aerator assembly was missing. The instructions state more than one time these are required.
As a result, I missed having about 3 inches on rain on newly spread grass seed in a period of 2 days from the assembly delay. Only other comment is when bolting aerator plugs with lock nuts, use largest socket wrench you have for leverage, and wear gloves.
I also put 2 40 lb bags of lime on top of aerator for weight and later us on yard. Will not scrape it and great for use later.
September 29, 2016