Rated 4.2 out of 5Â by 18
Rated 4 out of 5Â by MapleWood Pretty flooring - more variation that expected.
While we can appreciate the beauty of this product - it was more "busy" than we'd expected. There were quite a few dark colored knots and several dark streaks. We've moved furniture around on it and haven't seen the slightest scratch or ding. It has a nice luster to it. I rely strongly on other peoples reviews and photos so I though I'd share ours, hope it helps you make your decision.
February 2, 2013
Rated 5 out of 5Â by aminoswap Very Surprising Overall Excellence
Especially at this price point, I really don't think that this flooring can be beat. I've investigated most every pre-finished maple flooring out there and I have to say the appearance of the Bruce natural maple is top-notch:
- Minimal beveling at edges appearing more like the natural wearing of flooring that has been long-installed rather than the "click & lock" look of standard pre-finished planking.
- Solid maple that can be re-finished if necessary.
- I don't know how well the finish will wear but it is a lustrous, satiny gloss out of the box that looks rich and not plastic-y unlike many, many of even the high-end products out there.
- There were a few pieces with uneven finish coating and/or defects in the tongue and groove that needed to be picked out but if you lay out and rack your rows of planks as is suggested in advance of nailing, they should be easy to spot. Overall, I'd say less than 3% of the total pieces were undesirable.
- The fit to most of the planks wound up being nice and tight but due to the nature of the pre-finishing process you will wind up with a few discrepancies as you are not filling and sanding the wood to receive your own final finish. Thus, occasionally a board will be a millimeter narrower than one abutting it and there will be a hairline gap and that will need to be filled with the correct type of putty once the installation is complete. I think that this is just the nature of any pre-finished product.
- There is quite a bit of variation in the grain and coloring of the maple as distributed in the boxes. For me and my application, this was not a problem as I find the "clear", select grade to appear almost too bland. There is quite a lot of character in the Bruce planks; over all the look is quite pleasing as long as you make sure to blend pieces from several boxes.
- I had been interested in Bruce's hickory flooring especially due to the variegation in the coloring and grain but found that the amount and extent in their maple product was a better choice. Photographs tend to mute the amount of contrast and I suspect that (again for my particular application only) the look of the hickory, with its severe differences between planks, would have been perhaps a bit extreme.
- With their maple you get the best of both worlds: variegation and yet an overall pleasing continuity to the entirety of the floor.
Reading the reviews for this product proved very helpful and saved me a bit of headache in the research so I thought I'd share my experiences. This is an excellent product and an excellent value for the money.
December 3, 2012
Rated 5 out of 5Â by cyclesgt This Product is excellent
The floor looks great, about average time to install, but the finish work looks excellent, my wife and I are very pleased.
February 25, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5Â by BC2Ga This product exceeded my expectations.
I wanted a light toned hardwood for my kitchen that faces North and doesn't have direct sunlight. The red and white oaks were an option but I kept leaning towards the maple. I've used Bruce before with good results and purchased online. The boxes indicate wood is from Canada, which is fine with me. It's random length, not just 84" lengths. Boards were very clean and straight. Very little tare. A few dark boards but no knots in the 11 cases opened.
Price was excellent for the product with free delivery.
October 11, 2011
Rated 1 out of 5Â by Kdba Poor quality control at the factory
We ordered this flooring for three bedrooms, because it was the same brand and type as our existing flooring. According to the sample we bought and the pictures on the website it should have been an easy match. We received many cases of what looked like seconds. Many pieces were milled wrong, had drips of odd finish on them, some pieces had no finish at all, knots unfilled, warped pieces, gouges running across the top, and a gray moldy look on many. We had to return much of what we ordered.
December 10, 2013