Rated 4.3 out of 5 by 4
Rated 4.0 out of 5.0 by MrT Great way to update those boring stairs
We decided to remove the old, ugly carpet off of our stairs and "refresh" the look with these Cap-A-Treads. We had to special order the color we wanted as they were not in stock at the store.
1. Easy to install. Basically, you cut the tread to length (and depth, if necessary), and glue them down.
2. Looks nice.
3. Laminate withstands heavy traffic.
4. Easier to clean than carpet.
5. Matches Pergo flooring colors
1. Each tread is exactly the same. There is no variance in the pattern. Also, the pattern is in the exact same position on each piece, so you will want to cut them to width randomly from one side and/or the other. (See pictures to see what I mean).
2. Treads / Laminate is slippery for pets. Our dog now REFUSES to go up and down the stairs as she has no traction. Kind of a pain to carry her to bed each night.
3. Joint where the bullnose attaches to the flat tread is fragile. If the Cap-A-Tread does not fit onto the existing stair tread easily, you will need to file or sand down the stair tread (not the Cap-A-Tread) to allow for a smooth fit, otherwise the Cap-A-Tread may break.
4. Thickness of the Cap-A-Tread is different than Pergo Flooring. This makes it difficult if your stair treads need to mach up with a Pergo flooring at the top. Wish they were the same thickness.
5. A few of the stair treads had a manufacturing defect on them, so we had to send them back. Added 3 weeks to our project. :(
All-in-All, I think they are a great addition to our house. A bit pricey, but if you think about the time and materials it would take you to do the same project with real hardwood, these are a definite bargain.
Also, I recommend using LockTite PL400 Subfloor adhesive. Works better than LiquidNails brand. Make sure you get good coverage on the Cap-A-Tread with the adhesive.
July 27, 2016
Rated 4.0 out of 5.0 by FC A good and economical alternative
The cap a tread laminate stair tread is a very good alternative to the normal hard wood stair treads. There is no sanding and touch up needed which saves on labor and time.
October 27, 2015
Rated 4.0 out of 5.0 by contractor Good quality, easy to cut and install, looks great
Used the Cap-a-tread to finish an old carpeted stairway to match the new Pergo floor
October 22, 2014
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by johnh Great product
Excellent product, very easy to use if it fits over the existing treads. I have used it twice so far with beautiful results. Best to use a sliding compound miter saw to cut to length and a table saw to cut to width. need good saw blades, i used a 60 carbide tipped blade on the miter saw and an 80 on the table saw.
June 3, 2014