Rated 4.5 out of 5 by 993
Rated 4.0 out of 5.0 by petstaff best vacuum I've ever owned
We "splurged" in 2011 on a Dyson DC17 animal. It is now 2015, and we are upgrading. Best vacuum I've ever owned. The Dyson support team has always been friendly, helpful, and the response time for parts orders is excellent.
April 15, 2015
Rated 1.0 out of 5.0 by skiperbe Very disappointed in this vaccumm
I bought this after my last dyson finally stopped after 10 years. This model is flimsy and was broken after the first two weeks. I have very long hair, and my hair always ends up in the vaccumms. The roller bar on the front of the vac stopped working after two uses, and after two weeks the device lost suction. This is not a full size vac. The dirt canister is tiny and needs to be emptied often. The cord is short and the wand is awkward. This is the worst vac I have ever owned. Home Depot took it back, because they are awesome, but this vac is horrible.
December 16, 2012
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by MSRANGER Overall: Excellent (See Comments)
1) The SIZE and WEIGHT are very convenient.
2) SUCTION is excellent; the machine does a great job of getting ground-in (as fine as powder) dirt out of rugs.
3) The FILTERS seem to help remove very small particles from the air.
4) The OVERALL DESIGN and CONSTRUCTION are amazing.
1) The CORD is TOO SHORT (it is only 20" and it needs to be 35' as is the case with the larger Dyson vacuums)
2) The INSTRUCTIONS are TERRIBLE. Surely something that costs this much and has this kind of technology behind it can have a decent set of instructions. There are no written instructions--just line drawings that, in some cases, are difficult to decipher.
3) The WASTE COLLECTION CONTAINER is POORLY DESIGNED. If one is not very careful, one can dump the contents of the waste container while in the process of trying to remove the container from the machine. A short downward push on the release button allows the container to disengage; a stronger downward push on the same button opens the bottom of the container and allows the waste to spill out onto the machine and the floor/carpet.
4) Be aware that the design of this machine will not allow it to go UNDERNEATH BEDS, unless they are raised rather high off the floor.
July 24, 2012
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by KZRod Picks up crazy amount of fur!! Feels cheap
Easy to put together. Feels cheap. BUT picks up so much! Easy to dump the debris.
Would recommend and/or buy again.
September 24, 2013
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by Babs I can't believe how much more dirt & hair this Dyson picks up than my old vacuum. So easy to use, also!!
I love my new Dyson Animal. The amount of hair & dirt I picked up the first time I vacuumed was amazing. I can't believe my carpet has been hiding all that dirt!! Plus, it was lightweight & easy to maneuver. I'm thrilled I made the choice to move to a Dyson!!!
August 28, 2012
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by MimiMimiMimi Believe the hype
I absolutely love this vacuum cleaner. It is by far the best one I have ever used. It's lightweight (I carried it upstairs with two fingers, literally), super easy to maneuver around furniture, REALLY strong suction (you should have seen the crud it pulled out of my carpets), simple and elegant design, relatively quiet (quieter than my last upright that didn't clean nearly as well), telescoping handle so it fits easily in my short linen closet... I was hesitant to spend this much money on a vacuum cleaner but now I'm thrilled I did. This thing is perfect. I can't believe I am this excited about a vacuum cleaner, but I am.
December 29, 2011
Rated 4.0 out of 5.0 by Maur Powerful little machine!
I have only had the Dyson for a few weeks, but I love the powerful suction it has. It is taking stuff out of my carpet that I didn't know was there. It is lightweight, which makes it a bit awkward to steer. My husband thinks it is not sturdy, but I think it is because he is used to heavy vacuums. My biggest issue is the small size of the dirt canister. It needs to be emptied after doing 2 rooms. I do have 2 pets who shed a lot. The vacuum I had before would probably go 6-8 rooms before needing to be emptied, but it also did not do anywhere near the job the Dyson is doing. When you need to empty the canister it is so easy, just place canister over a trash can, push a button and empty. No mess at all. Love that the handle is connected to the hose to use tools - very convenient and the compact size makes it easy to store away.
December 11, 2012
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by Maria FANTASTIC!
We bought a Bissell 'Healthy Home' Vacuum a little over a year ago & I found that it has already lost a significant amount of suction. We have mostly hardwood floors throughout our home, & 3 rooms with brand new carpets. The Bissell seems to blow the dirt, dust, & pet hair around the wood floors & barely picks up anything off the carpets. I vacuumed this morning with the Bissell, thoroughly, one last time. I then went over the same areas with the Dyson Animal. They call this thing an animal for a reason. It's a beast! I was disgusted at what was left behind by the Bissell. We have a large dog that mainly stays in the den/kitchen area. I was amazed at the hair & dirt my Dyson picked up. I have twin 15-month old girls. We do not wear our shoes throughout the house, especially in their bedrooms. The amount of dirt on their carpet was scary. I put it together in all of 5 minutes. It is so light-weight & easy to use around the house. My 1 complaint is that the cord is a little short. I'm not lazy, so it isn't that big of a deal to plug & unplug for each room. I still give this machine 5 stars. Thank you, James Dyson!
October 27, 2011