Rated 3.2 out of 5 by 25
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by WaatugaCreek good buy
This pump and associated 19 gal tank replaced a 20 year old Gould system with worn impeller. I search Gould vs others and found that the heart of the Flotec pump (motor) was the same highly respected AO Smith motor assembled in USA as in the Gould unit. Fiberglass pump housing immediately improved water taste by removing very rusty and somewhat clogged cast iron unit and associated fittings. If impeller wears it is an easy replace, where the cast iron Gould was totally frozen and could not be disassembled without damage. Pump adequately marked not to over tighten fittings as you do with cast iron, so switch to PVC connections to avoid any risk here. I don't have much sympathy for people who ignore this warning. Delivers water at volume and pressure just as advertised.
July 25, 2012
Rated 2.0 out of 5.0 by Jczac44 Replacement Pump - Less than one year
Thankfully, the pump was still under warranty and we were able to exchange it at no cost.
October 17, 2013
Rated 3.0 out of 5.0 by Dood Does what it says on the box
I installed this pump when previous one failed. A few things to remember:
1. The ports sizes might not be the same as your previous pump so you will need an appropriately sized adapter for your system
2. You may want to replace your existing check valve.
3. It's unlikely that your existing plumbing will fit exactly so don't forget any other fittings you might need.
4. Note there is no gauge, so you will need some other method for verifying the output pressure for setting your cut-off pressures with your pressure tank....or install a tee at the output and install a gauge <---Good idea!
5. While it's listed as self-priming, it really does require priming to get it running. Priming the pump requires that you fill the inlet side of the pump as well as filling the out port. You may want to put a tee between the check valve and the inlet of the pump with a plug in it so you can fill the inlet end easily, should you ever need to (i.e. after winterizing etc.) <--- Another good idea.
6. When you are installing anything directly to this pump, ensure that you use a good quality pipe sealant paste, not teflon tape....it just makes life easier and prevents leaks.
7. The threads are all cut into the plastic, so do not over tighten the fittings otherwise you will strip out the threads. <--- Not a good idea.
October 2, 2012
Rated 4.0 out of 5.0 by Geraldo2011 Seems to work fine, pressure is good. I don't quite understand why this model doesn't have a 220v option but 110 works fine.
April 30, 2011
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by Akita747 great product for the price
i have had this pump for three years now and have not had any problems. i replaced the old 3/4 horse pump and was surprised how strong the water pressure is with this flotec. its very quiet and comes ready to install right out of the box.
December 30, 2010
Rated 1.0 out of 5.0 by Willis Junk junk junk
I had a contractor replace our old well pump with this one and I got 7 months out of it before the motor seized. Replaced that pump with a new one and after 6 weeks the pump would turn on and then shut right off. The well pump is located under my house in the crawl space. It's dry and not that cold under there. I'm an electrician and I ran a fresh 20 amp line over just for the pump. Anyways I returned that pump to HD and the girl I had was great. She returned the pump no questions asked. She had told me that they get a lot of a Flotec returns especially on sump pumps. I got another 4012 pump installed it January 25 2014 and yesterday February 04 2014 I have no water and the pump constantly runs. 3 pumps in less than a year. I will never buy this brand again.
February 5, 2014
Rated 1.0 out of 5.0 by Danman cheap/not good
I have been through two of these, they seem to burn out/stop working after a year and a half. I figured I would give them the benifit of the doubt after the first pump burned out, then like clockwork the second one stopped pumping two years and one month after installing it. They are easy to install just like any other pump, cheap junk doesnt last. DONT WASTE YOUR TIME and MONEY. spend a little more and buy something that will last!!
May 2, 2012
Rated 4.0 out of 5.0 by bobdawg A good pump at a great price!
After 14 years of use, the exact same model pump went bad on me. I considered purchasing a pump made by a different manufacturer, but there was a huge price difference ($100.00 +). I figure if this new pump lasts 14 years, at a price of $179.00, then I am way ahead. I am using this as a 2nd stage pump that moves water from the cistern to the house. This pump already has the pressure switch installed, and that is a plus!
January 2, 2015