Rated 3.4 out of 5 by 156
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by CwazyWabbit One of the Best Connected Home Devices
This was so simple to set up... work great with the Amazon Echo too!
August 4, 2015
Rated 4.0 out of 5.0 by boothdir This is a good starter system.
I bought this system because a friend at work was putting together a wink system and highly recommended it. Initially I had a hard time getting the bulbs to pair, the app kept timing out, but I think that the hub was updating while I was attempting to pair devices to it because I waited about an hour and tried again and everything worked fine. I haven't expanded the system yet but am currently using these bulbs and the hub for our bedside lamps so that we can adjust the brightness and have them set to automatically turn on in the morning when the alarm clock goes off.
February 24, 2015
Rated 4.0 out of 5.0 by Andy Great Bargain.
I went with Wink to save some money. The hardware works, but the application has some issues. The system requires a rule for sunset to midnight and another rule for midnight to sunrise if you would like a rule to cover night. You also can't set multiple triggers to perform the same action without creating multiple rules. Instead of creating a single rule for my detector, I had to create a separate rule for each if there is CO notify my phone, Smoke notify my phone, and Low Battery notify my phone.
Don't become discouraged though. If you configure it properly, it works without issues. Be aware that it may be more work than you'd expect to configure.
September 15, 2015
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by Jtm Wink HUB + Smart LED bulbs
I purchased this as the first in a series of extensions to my Amazon Echo system. Intending to create a budget "Smart" house system. The wink hub integrated easily to the Echo and with a few simple adjustments to define the led bulb locations, the Echo/Wink, can turn them on or off by voice command, as well as on an internal schedule. I will be adding more features to the mix as some accessories become more mature in their function.
December 8, 2015
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by JG Fantastic Purchase!
After doing a few days of research and reading reviews, I decided on this Wink Hub and 2 pack of GE light bulbs. For $50 I thought it was a great price point to jump into the home automation scene and if there were any issues I could take it back easily. I followed the instructions, which include how far to keep the hub away from your wireless access point, had it set up in about 20 minutes (including a software update) and was turning on and off the lights from the app. I set up some schedules to turn the bulbs on and off in the evening. After a few weeks, my thoughts are - Great purchase, great price! Go get it! Looking forward to adding more items.
August 2, 2015
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by Nyvram Don't believe the negative reviews..this is an evolving product and will only get better over time!
WINK Hub shines the more you add to it. Its true the HUB has taken some hits for the up and down nature of the Wink servers but with the 99 cent hub offer with purchase of 2 lightbulbs, there's very little to fuss about.
I have used this for 2-3 weeks now slowly adding a Schlage deadbolt, Chamberlain MyQ garage opener and 2 WiFi Honeywell touchscreen thermostats and I've been pleasantly surprised. All of these products can be purchased at Home Depot. The deadbolt and garage opener installed like a dream and a person from Schlage answered the phone after 3 rings and walked me through a minor issue.
The hub (see screenshot) has worked great. I haven't had a single issue as described by other reviews. I've set up shortcuts, user profiles, robots, scheduled events for the lights and the thermostats and am even using the geofencing feature to automatically lock & unlock the doors!
On top of that, I'm using the android WEAR features on my watch which allows you to operate shortcuts (like unlock/lock door, etc.) as a single tap on your watch. You also can get notifications of events (garage opened!) right on your watch. However on the downside, there are some issues with the shortcuts right now that I'm sure a software update will address.
I'm giving it 5 stars even though I'll point out some pros and cons below because *ITS JUST SOFTWARE* and the hub is a fantastic hardware device so future features will continue to be added via software to make this a better product each time its used.
I've also put it through its paces even doing things most people have not so I feel comfortable commenting on just about every feature.
I'm planning to add a couple of KIDDE smoke/CO2 detectors in a week or so and fully expect those to work as good as the other devices.
So please, don't take older reviews as gospel for this as Wink has been working around the clock to improve the software and don't take my word for it; give them a phone call yourself! They answer right away and are very helpful to answer questions. I think they're heading in the right direction here.
- one app to rule them all, ios and android app merges all home automation devices into one very nice UI
- ability to add profiles (my kids, my wife) and limit what they have access to on their phones
- ability to see everything that is triggered and WHO triggered it. in the activity feed you can see when a door
- nice touch having access to Wink on your android smartwatch
- schedules and triggers (robots) working perfectly so far
- getting notifications and emails when something happens (like when your door unlocks) is nice when you're not at home.
- some UI issues in the Wink app; notably no ability to schedule locks and garage openers. i hope this is added in the future. i've worked around this by using a light 'off' event each night to trigger the Wink to lock my front door (if its not already locked)
- chamberlain garage opener doesn't show up as an option with robots
- Wear device has some shortcut issues (not showing up, same shortcut showing repeatedely, etc)
- every command routed through Wink servers. commands should work directly on devices attached directly to hub, and API commands (like chamberlain and honeywell) routed through remote servers.
December 17, 2014
Rated 2.0 out of 5.0 by AbYe Still a long way to go! Too many limitations. Cannot recommend
The GE Link bulbs work great and can be added to another Zigbee home automation router like the Almond Plus. I purchased this set on the basis of my previous experience with the GE bulbs so the hub in this case was a bonus buy.
I was excited at first when I got the hub on a great thanksgiving deal at the cost of 2 GE link bulbs with the 2 bulbs. That excitement dwindled quickly when I realized how much our hands are tied. I don't like the fact that I'm tied to their cloud and cannot trigger my connected devices directly via my hub. What if my internet service is down or if they decide to monetize their service.
At present they only support certified devices so it appears that you have to purchase wink certified devices. The "highlighted" protocols (wifi, zigbee, zwave etc.) have minimally supported devices. e.g. you have to purchase the dropcam and it is at present the only wifi enabled device. You cannot apply any existing camera's to use their talked about wifi connectivity. I guess there is some talking to do here btw the hub & camera ... even so a BIG THUMBS DOWN.
There is not a user forum to speak of. I was directed towards their FAQ page to ask my questions. To date no reply. BIG THUMBS DOWN. We need a User forum to record issues, requests and gain from other user experiences.
The GE Link bulbs I have connected work well, but I had to decipher for myself that the hub has to be within feet of the bulb to add the bulb. Their instructions are vague at best! I Assume the same applies to every other device. There is no GUIDE to speak of and their instructions insufficient. one more BIG THUMBS DOWN.
- The app works ok so far. I see a lot of lag, therefore we need direct connectivity when at home.
- There is a handy scheduler that works well, but not very well thought out. for e.g. I have to create a separate schedule for a ON and another for an off and so on for each time you want the device on or off. So now I have 4 schedules, multiply that with each device suddenly you'll have an unmanageable long list of schedules that are not even sorted and one you cannot rearrange (not sure why they aren't sorted!)
- Robots appears to be a useful feature, this is one I haven't been able to put to use, since I cant add my own devices as yet!
- Shortcuts - I've added them in but these short cuts appear within the app, cannot be moved and I cannot default the app to open that location - so I'm unclear how they would be useful.
- Firmware updates: You cannot rollback an update or reapply one should there be a need or an issue. There is no UI to support such an update. Its all automatic upgrade mode only. So far its not a big deal, but my experience tells me this is needed, believe me this will be needed at some point even if not now!
Their website offers little insight into what features the hub offers nor how they work in any detail. They offer a FAQ as a guide?!You have to search for the install guide (none accompanies the hub) and the instructions are insufficient with no troubleshooting or troubleshooting to speak of so you cant troubleshoot why your hub isn't connecting to your network or why the device you're attempting to add isn't! You have to use your experience/knowledge to figure it out for yourself. The idea to make the hub user friendly is there, I don't believe the execution exemplifies it!
In conclusion, a product I cannot recommend. Too many shortcomings! too few supported devices (they claim they adding more, but do not share which), Their product page doesn't spell out its features in toto so you have to figure it out for yourself once you have the hub in your hands - I appreciate a vendor who will be upfront. lacks a much needed user forum! They have your hands tied behind your back!!! Very Apple-esque! This is not for me!
December 7, 2014
Rated 1.0 out of 5.0 by Rich Save your money!
Very deceptive in terms of open connect. The Link Hub included in this package is proprietary and will not work with any other product, Wink or otherwise.
As Far as Wink, Save your money there too They are also a proprietary network and have had several outages in the few weeks that I have used this product. Problem is that you do not know if it an issue with your equipment or a Wink Outage. Often it may take several hours for them to even notice an outage and put it on their support lines. If it occurs on a Sunday, your out of luck, no one will pick up a phone.
September 26, 2015