Rated 1.8 out of 5 by 4
Rated 4.0 out of 5.0 by imagerep You get what you pay for. Very Good Quality Product!
I am in the business (sales) of solar panels and LEDs so technically I understand the manufacturing process and range of quality out there. As for residential outdoor lighting, most of the home centers offer poor quality product as they sell on volume and low cost to the consumer. The higher quality (and price) products in this industry can be found either on-line or through independent retailers catering direct to the Landscaper and Garden industry. This is one of those rare cases where a higher quality product could be found at a home center, such as HD, albeit I had to buy it HD online as our local HD does not stock it.
Things that sold me on this product:
1. Solar is Mono-crystalline with glass cover. This means longer life than the cheap "Malibu Light" type using epoxy coating that lasts only 3-4 years.. Epoxy turns to yellow and then limits charging capability. A glass panel should last at least 10 years.
2. Batteries are Li-ion, not the cheap Ni-Cd. Li-ion has a higher charging capability and longer life. Not to mention more environmentally friendly.
3. LED; this uses a higher quality and brighter SMT type LED than the types found on lower end product.
The Cons I wished were improved:
1. Charging capacity is said to be 6-8 hrs. I have not stayed up late into the night to prove if this being accurate, but wished that it had 10-12 hrs so it would last most the night. A larger panel with higher capacity Li-ion batteries should be an option.
2. Aluminum housing is ok, but Brass or Copper housing would offer a much greater longer life.
3. lack of o-rings at the solar panel/battery compartment. Having this feature would extend the life of the unit even further by preventing moisture from entering into the compartment.
Overall, product was easy to install. It came with one mounting bracket and in my application I needed two. I called the Mfr customer service and asked how can I order an extra bracket. They shipped me an second one AT NO COST, they even picked up the shipping. Now that rarely happens these days and they shipped out the following day.
July 15, 2014
Rated 1.0 out of 5.0 by roberto Very poor quality
Weak light for the cost. Screws to hold panel and light to stakes stripped on first use. Battery lasted less than a year and replacement is $20! Useless and expensive.
July 8, 2013
Rated 1.0 out of 5.0 by Mike1946 Not worth the price
1 - Did not work after one hour of on time. Battery charged for two days before use.
2- Focus adjustment very poor, and actually reduced the amount of light on the distant object.
3 - Returned to Home Depot for full refund.
January 31, 2012
Rated 1.0 out of 5.0 by dennphill Don't waste your time - had to return this product
Gama Sonic Progressive Solar Spotlight Model GS-103 (LEDs 3000K, Amber light color). Sold by Amazon and Home Depot. Shopped the former, but bought at the latter. Returned today. Totally worthless items. They worked for a day or two then nothing. Bought these at Home Depot online to light up some holiday decorations – a dozen large 1-ft. plastic ornaments I put in a palm tree in my front yard – and I was glad they arrived before Christmas. Reviews convinced me they were bright for solar LED spotlights. Unpacked and installed…left off for a few days to charge in the sun, then turned them on. I was impressed – they looked great. Not REALLY bright, but OK. By the second day (well, night) two were no longer working. Turned all off for a few more days and then on. The two that were inop were still so. Three of four days later, none were working. Only one of them would light dimly for an hour or so. I should have figured something was up when the Home Depot price offer beat out Amazon. Price listed was $89.99 – I purchased four of these items – and the promotional discount was $144.00 off, bringing the per item cost to only $53.99. I thought that was a pretty good deal. It turned out to be a waste of money (well, Home Depot did give me a full refund) and so the waste was mostly time ordering, unpacking, installing, then troubleshooting, then removing, cleaning, re-packing and finally driving 15 miles to my nearest store. Couldn’t recommend these items. Oh, and I did not contact the manufacturer – Gama Sonic is all over the web, with products in many solar lighting stores, Lowe’s, HD, Amazonia, etc. – but with a purchase of 4 items I figured that if two or three worked OK, I’d try to work with the manufacturer/distributor to resolve technical problems, but with 4 of 4 bad, I just called HD and they said just return to any store. Made in China, go figure. Good service from HD - order, ship, return - just a totally worthless product.
January 15, 2013