Rated 3.7 out of 5 by 9
Rated 4.0 out of 5.0 by BossCat Pros and cons to consider. Overall it's probably the best 6x8 solution available.
I bought this shed and built it myself… almost - I still have a couple of things to finish off as I'm doing it in my spare time.
Summary - General Comments:
- Delivery is to your drive-way. It takes more than two men to lift it to where it needs to be. The thing is probably 600lbs
- I built this by myself. It takes three full days if you have the base ready and if you don't have to run out to replace any parts / get tools. One day to get the structure up and complete the trim, one for doors and roofing, and one to caulk and paint (twice if you want to satisfy the warrantee!). You may be faster or slower, in any case, I am not in construction so I'd say anyone can do it.
- I used aftermarket screws and no nails (except for the shingles) as suggested in another review. I think it was a good choice.
- I didn't use their floor. I dropped the shed onto a slightly oversized cement base with sill plates and gaskets anchored in.
- In case you haven't read this already… you need to buy these separately: floor decking (if you use their subfloor), shingles and felt, drip-edge, caulk, paint.
Summary - The Good:
- It looks and feels superb. The design is really nice with wide doors and internal shelf.
- Quality of the siding is good - the finish is hard, texture is nice. Should last a long time.
- All of the measurements were spot on and the materials are cut to exact sizes. The whole thing went up without any problems with the angles or need for racking the walls.
Summary - The Not so Good:
- Some of the lumber was warped, some was split, some had large knots in the ends (have some pics, will share). I worked around it, but given more time, would have replaced some of the parts. Backyard Storage Solutions LLC (aka Handy Homes) seemed willing to help with that, but I had limited time to spend waiting for parts or going and buying them
- The instructions are good, but not perfect, Backyard Storage Solutions made updates so use the latest instructions posted online instead of those printed with the kit
- The warrantee conditions are stringent. You need to have done everything by their instructions (presumably using their hardware) including full caulking and two coats of paint within 60 days of assembly. They then need to inspect it. I'm not sure I'll even try.
- The cost. My costs were: shed (1300); cement base, sill plates and anchors (800); better hardware (100); roofing supplies (shingles, felt, drip-edge, nails) (160); caulk (20). Total = 2300 - before paint! This assumes you have zoning paid, all the tools and 3 days to take off work / family.
- You could always pay the extra 1k for them to construct it, but I'm not sure they'll do the roof, paint etc.
- My town required a zoning permit
- I may add small vents - it seems easy enough to do with this design
- I added a bug-barrier using flashing around the base
Overall it's an expensive way to add 6x8 storage, but in my opinion it's probably the best design and build available.
I will add more pictures when finished.
June 24, 2016
Rated 4.0 out of 5.0 by RoW good shed for the value
The shed was not difficult to assemble. it would have been nice if it could have been ordered complete with roof tiles and floor. we had to purchase a bunch of materials to finish it. in general it was a 2 day process. prepping the ground and putting pavers in and shopping. then another full day with 2 people to assemble. I will purchase an assembled one next time.
September 27, 2016
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by brownie very good for the money
pieces could be marked better but just follow the instructions.
December 8, 2015
Rated 4.0 out of 5.0 by Verified Reviewer Good Value
This product was easy to assemble and provided good value for the dollar. A minimum of tools were required and in the end the result was very satisfactory. I discarded the manufacturer supplied common nails in favour of screws. The supplied fasteners were a waste of time and were the one of the only things about the product I didn't like. I would recommend purchasing an additional 2X3 for the front and rear panels as none are included to fasten the bottoms of the exterior paneling to the floor. In all, the fit and finish were good. There was minimum warping of the lumber but better than average. I would highly recommend this product.
May 30, 2011
Rated 1.0 out of 5.0 by HJS shed
Worst purchase. Half the boards were warped and measurements were off. Customer service was abysmal. I don't recommend the on line service to purchase merchandice.
August 26, 2015
Rated 2.0 out of 5.0 by Tpipre Not to exciting
So I get a shed in a box. The pressure treated wood for the base is twisted and warped. The plywood for the floor is not included meaning you must rent a truck or pay to have the plywood delivered or accept the fact that the precut studs for the front and back will be 1/2" to 3/4" short.
May 14, 2014
Rated 4.0 out of 5.0 by MikeF Shed was what I expected except for the flooring
Most of all the supplied wood structure was very good. I was disappointed the the floor frame was supplied but NO plywood decking (2 sheets needed). I had to make an extra trip to get it. They could have charge more and it would have make me happy.
October 29, 2013
Rated 4.0 out of 5.0 by Graydawn Decent for the price
Perfect size for the cement slab we had. One roof piece was damaged though. Easy to set up if you have all of the proper tools.
October 15, 2013