Rated 3.9 out of 5 by 190
Rated 4.0 out of 5.0 by massgen Very attractive, but irritating to assemble.
An attractive, sturdy bookcase. Shelves won't sag like most bookcases, when loaded with heavy books. Delivered on-time. Several Negatives: the package weighs #114. Very heavy pieces are awkward for 1 person to assemble, making it take hours. Directions are very small drawings, lacking key details, so need trial and error. The back panel consists of thin & thick boards that you slide down a track & for me, wouldn't stay in place without generous glue & shifting the bookcase from R-side-down to L-side down. Screws need to be re-tightened each time you shift the piece. Great final result, but you need lots of time to assemble.
July 28, 2011
Rated 4.0 out of 5.0 by nnnnnnn Good looking bookcase for great price
This is the third Hamilton bookcase I have purchased. It is sturdy and attractive. The assembly of the bookcase was different that the previous 2 bookcases so the holes were not in the correct positions and some of the pieces did not line up. I had to take apart the bookcase an realign everything - still had to drill some holes to get the top piece aligned. So while it eventually turned out okay, could be frustrating to assemble
September 1, 2015
Rated 2.0 out of 5.0 by scoobyone Not as hoped for
Expected better quality for the price. Shelves are not sturdy enough and directions are poor. Will keep but only becsuse it woukd be s true hassle to get everything boxed back up. Was happy with the appearance but not with sturdiness.
June 10, 2014
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by Sensiorae Exactly what I wanted and expected.
The bookcase is the perfect size for my needs and the color is perfect.
April 5, 2012
Rated 4.0 out of 5.0 by bookshelves looks good, easy to assemble
The bookcase is made mostly of solid wood and uses hex bolts for assembly of the structure except for the top that uses screws. The facades on the sides and bottom use pegs. The bookcase took no more than 30 minutes to put together (following the instructions, after the items were laid out on the floor). Assembly was easy. No special tools are required except for a phillips screw driver for the top and a rubber mallet for the facade. An Allen wrench for the hex bolts came with the parts. The item was worth the price in my opinion.
January 17, 2012
Rated 2.0 out of 5.0 by Jason Underwhelming.
1. Assembly is relatively tool free, in theory - only a hex wrench and Phillips screwdriver are required.
2. Bookcase is mostly solid wood (backs are pressboard, but that's not a big deal).
3. Finish is attractive.
1. The bookcase I received does not appear to be made of the advertised wood (parawood/rubberwood), but some species of pine. Whatever it is, it's quite soft and dented easily - a number of pieces came out of the package with significant dents and dings. Unfortunately I didn't have time to wait for replacements.
2. Several pieces were warped, particularly the moldings - three of which were warped in two directions. This made assembly quite difficult.
3. The supplied press-fit fasteners are difficult to get seated, but somehow do not hold strongly enough to compensate for the aforementioned warping. The moldings sprang loose, eventually having to be held with screws, glue and overnight clamping. It was far more work than it should have been to assemble.
Had I known about the above issues, I would not have purchased this piece of furniture.
November 18, 2011
Rated 4.0 out of 5.0 by MJG Does the job, looks good.
Most of the bookcase is wood including shelves (a major plus). The design is attractive, the finish is decent, the stain a warm oak (not as red as the photos). It is quite sturdy, and can hold a lot of books. Assembly requires care and familiarity with using hand tools. Good value.
July 28, 2015
Rated 2.0 out of 5.0 by Nitabita Not the quality expected for the price paid.
If was easier to return would have. Several flaws. Bands holding pieces together damaged the wood, which wasn't noticed until put together. Not the quality one would expect for the price. Won't ever order online again something boxed and needing to be put together. Very disappointed. Husband had to buy extra material to nail to back to stabilize.
November 19, 2013