Rated 4.2 out of 5 by 210
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by Dano Works great, good value.
I really like the variable clutch feature so I do not have to shut off the mover when the bag is being emptied. Also like the ease and use of the variable speed feature but allows to push it also is you want to burn some extra calories. The bag is big and easy to take on and off. Cuts well even when the grass is higher. My boys even want to use it to mow now, HA.
March 14, 2015
Rated 4.0 out of 5.0 by NapaMike Recommended but with a warning
I have been researching self propelled mowers for quite a while: reading online reviews, checking consumer report ratings, talking to people, etc). I narrowed it down to three mowers, this Honda, a T**o from H-D, and a C-man from S***s. The Cman didn't have the blade stop which was a feature I really wanted. The T**o did have the blade stop and it was $100 less, but it had a B&S engine. I've always trusted Hondas to have excellent quality but also I know that Honda engines are very quiet--and I wanted a quiet mower (but not electric). Even though this was higher than my budget, I went ahead and bought it based on reports of needing fewer repairs and the hope that it would be fairly quiet.
Here's my experience:
I opened the box , took out the parts, and read the instructions (sorry, I'm that type of a person). I did everything as the instructions said: assembled, add oil, fresh gasoline, etc. BUT there was no grass catcher bag anywhere to be seen--it was missing and not included in the carton. It was a new carton as it was taped and glued shut. Oh well, I'll just try the mulching feature which was another good selling point.
I pulled the cord once--nothing. Twice--nothing. Third time--it ROARED to life, and I mean roared. It was very loud. Louder than any other mower I've ever heard. It reminded me of my small block chevy with straight headers. The mower did have a muffler--I checked to make sure it wasn't missing. I was greatly disappointed but figured let's see how well it mowed.
It mowed great--for the first 12 feet or so then there was a loud bang and the engine went silent and stopped. I tried restarting it but nothing at all. I spent about 20 minutes trying to figure it out but couldn't see anything wrong.
I decided to take it back to HD and exchange it for another (I'd give it one more try before I go and get the Cman instead). Note to anyone returning a mower--be sure to drain the gas from the tank because the store will not accept it with gas in it. That proved to be quite an inconvenience for me but I took care of that.
The exchange was easy--I walked out with a replacement mower (same model of course).
Went through the assembly and setup process (again, very easy) and this time there was a grass catcher bag. I was hoping this was a good sign.
I pulled the cord once--nothing. I thought uh-oh, not again. Pulled the cord a second time--engine purred. It purred like a kitten. Even quieter than I was expecting. I let it warm up for a minute or two before starting to mow. I put the 'throttle" on fast and slowly engaged the blade "clutch" The engine sounded as if were going to die (it slowed way down, but then picked up to normal speed), and off I went. It mowed very well (I mulched again and didn't even see any grass blades laying on the lawn).
Good speed. Easy speed control, but it took me a few minutes to get used to the thumb controls for speed. I like everything about this mower (THIS mower, not my first one).
For Honda's sake, I'm hoping that the first unit was an uncharacteristic lemon and not indicative of Honda's current quality.
I would recommend this product but if it is not exactly as you expect it, be sure to return it because something might be wrong with it. Let's see how it does over the coming years.
By the way, Honda is having a deal now that adds an extra year to the warranty. You can be sure that I will be signing up for that.
April 13, 2015
Rated 4.0 out of 5.0 by Walker Mulches great
I purchased this mower last summer and selected this model mainly because I wanted the blade stop feature. I also wanted a variable speed mower. I am a 78 year old, petite female and I find I have had a difficult time adjusting the Smart Drive control paddle and holding it in place. I find the control very clumsy to use. I have begun to have sharp pains in my hands when performing daily tasks and have realized the pain is caused from using the mower. I do not know if other users have had difficulty with Smart Drive control, but for me it has been an issue. Other than that, the mower works great and I appreciate that the grass is mulched very fine and is not tracked into the house by humans or pets.
June 5, 2015
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by heapsma Mulch Option Leaves Grass Clean Looking
We've been very impressed with this lawnmower. It was shipped to our house and there was minimal assembly. All you have to do is add oil, which they provide, and lift the handle and click into place. It started easily with a light pull on the cord and provided a great mulch. You can see from the picture that the mulch option double cut the clippings to the point you can't see them after the fact. We like our grass to look "clean", so this has been our favorite result with this lawnmower.
May 7, 2013
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by KevinO Great for hilly terrain
I don’t usually write reviews of products but I wanted to share my experience with this product due to the extreme pleasure it has been cutting my yard so far with this mower. I just finished cutting my yard for the 4th time with this mower and each time I have been more pleased with its performance. Let me break it down for you:
1. This mower is awesome out of the box set it up and it starts just like it promised first pull and since then it has also started on the first pull every time with minimal effort to pull the cord. Don’t waste money on an electric start this mower is way too easy to start to have an electric option to begin with!!
2. The self propelled rear wheels are unbelievably strong and yes this mower will do a wheelie if you are not careful, this is a strong mower so you will have to practice to find your setting. This has been the one thing I had to get use to I had to find my setting and it took two uses to find so I would suggest practice to find your setting before you start cutting.
3. I researched this mower as well as others to find one that could handle my yard due to the extreme hills and terrain of where I live (see photos). I went with Honda due to the name and this mower has made cutting these hills so much easier I honestly could not believe the difference and as I stated now that I have found my settings for speed and handle location I can now cut my yard in an hour less time!!!
4. The blade cutting system is top notch the mulch setting leaves a very nice clean look to your yard and makes bagging seem like a thing of the past!!!
5. The blade stop is one of the greatest additions to this mower I have noticed. This option makes stopping to pick up or move something so easy just reengage the blade and off you go!!! If you are going to buy make sure and get the blade stop option.
I wanted to post the pics of my yard to help everyone understand how steep my yard is so it may help them make a decision on this mower. Like I stated earlier I just completed my 4th cutting and this mower has made cutting unbelievably so much easier. I would recommend this mower to anyone looking for a great self propelled mower to use on any type of lawn but especially one with hills and obstacles. I just wish Honda would now work towards a riding mower!!!
September 14, 2013
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by HappyBuyer Best mower I've ever owned.
No choke, no priming, I put gas in it and it started for the first time on the first pull. Still starts on the first pull. Self propelled controls flip out of the way when you don't need them. I could mow the yard 1-1/2 time on a full tank of gas with the old mower, since filling up the tank on this mower, I've mowed 4 times and haven't had to put more gas in it. Also a lot quieter than the old mowers.
May 20, 2014
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by Dave This mower is better than I expected.
First let me say I’ve only used the mower 4 times and may not need it again this season, too bad because that mower is more than I bargained for. I have a small yard at 6400 ft. in the high desert. The feature that attracted me to this Honda first was the blade stop. With the engine running and blade disengaged, it will power itself through landscaping gravel, up a rocky hill, through more driveway gravel, and to an out building where it’s stored. Of course, the feature is also handy for making wheel adjustments or stopping for obstacles while mowing. Then the fuel shutoff caught my eye. How handy when running the carburetor dry at the end of the season. Next, a really comfortable handle made for your hands, a clever adjustable thumb or palm operated drive control, blade controls, and throttle. There’s also a two position control that either directs the grass clippings into the bag or leaves them to be mulched. I haven’t yet tried the mulching feature, but the twin blades cut the grass into such small pieces that I have to believe it will work well. There isn’t a side discharge on this mower. That turned out to be an advantage because I could cut closer to obstacles in either direction. This mower does not have a hose connector for cleanout. I found though, that because of the handle’s two ¼ turn releases, it’s trivial to turn it on its side to do what has to be done and without leaking fluids. Since there’s no center bar in the handle you can remove the grass bag through the opening or fold it over the mower. The engine has always started on a single pull and performs well at this altitude. All the hardware that makes up this mower seems to be of high quality. I am very pleased. Sort of wish I had more grass.
October 23, 2013
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by ckhideaway Commercial User
I cannot believe anyone had given this mower less than five stars! I have been mowing commercially for more than 20 years. I had previously used John Deer commercial 21 inch mowers at a cost of $1000. They were unbelievable. ....so is this mower. Reasons:
1. Honda engine-after four years of mowing 7+ yards per week, the engine still started right up. This year this mower was not winterized and stored in a shed (Iowa)
2. Blade-Brake-Clutch- Toro's and John Deere's commercial mowers both feature this---at a cost of $1200. Spend the money and get one that doesn't need restarting every time the grass needs to be emptied.
3. Cut-- the double blades cut better than any mower I've used--even in wet weather. Mowing as many yards as I do, we don't wait for the dew to burn off. I've mowed several times in downpours to finish a yard, and again, great results.
4. Bagging--because of the double blades, the bagging is exceptional----almost to the point that is too heavy for the bagger.
1. Adjustable speed- this will work fine for home use, but please bring back the gears. When mowing up a hill, especially steep, it's very difficult to hold the speed bar without completely engaging it. The result---the wheels will prematurely wear out.
Go out and get this mower. It's at a great price. A commercial mower will get you better tires, an oil filter, a large air filter, and gears, but for 6-$700 more. This will last a once-per-week user years.
March 30, 2015