Rated 4.4 out of 5Â by 39
Rated 5 out of 5Â by james Will buy again (have to buy again!)
I sure love this product it protected us well. I had an earlier version of this same detector. We are having are roof repaired new shingles and wood. apparently some carbon Monoxide from the tools on the roof got into our attic and the air conditioner has an air intake from the attic so it got sucked in and distributed inside. So two of our carbon monoxide alarms were sounding , I wasn't home , so my wife got my cane and busted both alarms . Yep I married a real winner there , she pointed out when I got home she and my son had been "in the house for 8-hours and haven't died yet so there"
She will be the death of me... So I need to buy two more. Our heater is from 1976 what are the odds that it actually is the heater emitting carbon monoxide and I wont wake to buy new ones ? at least YOU get to know they work great.
June 25, 2014
Rated 2 out of 5Â by number6 Too many false alarms -- defective?
I bought two of these units a couple of years ago: one for the basement, the other for the upstairs hallway. The other 6 units in my house are ionization type. I figured it would be good to have a couple photoelectric type alarms, a couple of CO alarms, and the rest ionization. All the alarms are all Kidde, all approximately 2 years old, and all are interconnected. Lately, one of them has been triggering, always around 3:00 or 4:00 AM. The first time it happened a couple of months ago, I changed all the batteries, even though none of the units were giving a low-battery chirp. When the alarm triggers, it announces, "Fire! Fire!", but of course there is no fire. It shuts itself off after 20 or 30 seconds without pressing the hush button, but we're all up and running around frantically by then. None of the units show a red light like they are supposed to after they have sensed the alarm condition, so I don't know which one is causing it.
This morning when it happened again, I thought I saw a red indicator on the upstairs hallway combo photoelectric/CO unit. Within seconds, the alarm stopped, and all lights on all smoke alarms were green. It was 4:30 AM, so I wasn't actually sure what I saw. I went back to bed, and within 10 minutes or so, the alarms started again. I looked up again at this hallway unit and I clearly saw the red light was on. Other units in the bedrooms nearby were green. I pressed the hush button and then the unit switched from announcing "Fire! Fire!" to "Carbon Monoxide!". Then it stopped again after a few seconds.
I think I'm going to replace this one with a combo ionization / CO unit instead. I'm suspicious that the photoelectric sensor is getting triggered by spiders (although I haven't seen any), or some other particles that may be in the air. Why it always happens in the middle of the night is beyond me, but it's extremely annoying.
August 27, 2014
Rated 4 out of 5Â by Steve Great combo unit
I bought 3 of these to replace 3 ancient interconnected BRK units that did smoke detection only and had to be from the 1980s. I also bought adapters so that I could reuse the existing wiring harnesses. It was a pretty straightforward install. I love now having CO detection in addition to smoke, plus the voice feature, plus the battery backup - all new for me. I had 1 false alarm 2 nights after the installation, but I believe it was due to an improperly seated connector/adapter. After addressing this, it's been at least a month and it hasn't happened again, which is good since I went with this brand because of all of the false-alarm complaints of other brands.
April 4, 2013
Rated 1 out of 5Â by Chuck Too many false alarms, keeps whole family on the edge.
I had all kidde fire alarms in our house and they had begun to yellow. I called Kidde about this, stating we don't smoke, but the majority of my 9 alarms in the house have turned a yellow color and against the white ceiling. They offered to replace some of the alarms, and while giving them numbers off the back, realized they were a month away from being 10 years old. They stated the alarms should be replaced at 10 years so I bought new alarms at Home Depot. While buying the alarms I saw these Carbon / smoke combos. I thought why not put one of these on each floor, and the smokes everywhere else. Within the first couple weeks, had a false alarm on the basement carbon and replaced it by exchange at Home Depot. Then about 6 months ago, around 3am had another false alarm. This time the voice was saying "fire" but walking through the whole house, I couldn't find any fire, any signs of fire or smoke, and worse of all, no alarms flashing green or red to indicate which one went off. Now this morning, 4:40am again.... going off "fire" and I can't figure out which one of 9 are going off. After looking at reviews I believe it's one of these two carbons. What a waste of a hundred bucks between them. I'll be calling kidde. Hard to put your life in someones hands and have so many false alarms. My 3yr old is terrified that it's going to go off (scares him into a fit) and my wife is nervous "what do I do if they go off and you're not home" Not acceptable!
October 3, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5Â by shawnh1974 great purchase
Easy to install, good quality, ties into my other kidde smoke detectors.
November 19, 2014