Rated 4.3 out of 5 by 199
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by MrLibrary Solid Value and Cavernous Space
Imagine a vast cavern brightly lit by LED lights. That's the LG refrigerator. What a huge step up from our hideous Maytag. We love this LG fridge because it not only looks great but it also holds twice the amount of our old fridge of the same dimensions. This LG refrigerator uses space (and energy) very efficiently. For those who want the entire fridge clad in stainless steel, be warned that the front doors only are stainless steel. The sides, top and back are a matching grey textured paint (so it doesn't stick out like those stainless front fridges that are painted black.)
June 23, 2014
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by Termie The perfect fit!
I looked far and wide for a refrigerator that would fit in a space that was 33" wide and 68" high, and this was by far the highest-quality and highest-volume model that I found. I've been living with it for a month now, and can share a number of observations:
(1) The interior layout is great - huge door bins for drinks/jars, nice extra-wide drawer for sandwich meats/cheeses, and two large bins at the bottom. The only thing I don't like is that the lowest door shelf is very hard to see, as the larger shelf above it blocks your view. I would have liked a bottom-freezer model, but alas none were available with the compact dimensions of this unit.
(2) The LED lighting - this was a big draw for me, as I don't much care for having a heater in my refrigerator, which is what most models have that use incandescent lighting. That being said, the lighting towards the back of the refrigerator is sub-par, but if you're storing lots of smaller hard-to-identify items back there, you need to clean out your fridge! The lighting in front is actually better than most models.
(3) The lack of handles - this was a benefit in the small space I was working with, meaning that the refrigerator could stick out further past the countertop while effectively blocking less walking space. The problem is, not surprisingly, that the door is harder to open without a handle. It generally takes two hands, or at least a thumb to push off of the freezer door, and that means LOTS of fingerprints. I just ordered stainless steel cleaner, because that's going to be an absolute necessity with this refrigerator.
(4) Noise - I am a bit surprised that the unit makes a significant amount of noise in full cooling mode. Sometimes is seems quieter, which suggests to me that it has different levels of cooling. I do wish it were a bit quieter, and it's not the most efficient unit out there, so it probably runs more/louder than others.
(5) The freezer door popping open - as others have mentioned, this does occur, especially if you really slam the refrigerator door. Must have to do with internal air pressure. Anyway, it hasn't happened since the first day I used the refrigerator, now that I've learned not to slam the door. If you have kids using the fridge a lot, you may find the freezer door ajar more often than you'd like. Definitely a bit of a design flaw.
Overall, this is just about the volume you'll get in a unit this size, so if you're working with a small space, it's a great pick. If you can fit a model over 68" high, you'll probably find some slightly better or more efficient models in the same price range.
July 9, 2014
Rated 4.0 out of 5.0 by lindaem2003 Have had for 6 months.
I fell in love with this fridge when I first saw it at Home Depot. Why? B/c I loved the sleek look and the additional sleekness of no handles! When I opened the door the led lighting was spectacularly bright. I found however that once installed and you started stocking the fridge the lights were often blocked making the interior pretty dark. So I just try and make sure I don't block the lights. Note to LG : How about some lights in the back and perhaps one large led strip along the front top interior? That would help a lot. LOVE the Full Width Pantry Drawer (cold cut drawer) and it can be moved to different levels for your lifestyle. I put my cheeses in there too. The ice maker functions well and makes ice quickly.
Biggest problem, and I read about this before I purchased the model, is that the freezer door pops open whenever you close the fridge door and walk away. It didn't do it as much when the fridge was brand new but I've noticed over the last 3 months that the freezer door is ajar more times than not. This results in a lot of freezer burn on freezer foods. My blueberries frozen from this summer (5 lbs of them) and pork chops both have freezer burn. If you have ppl in your home that slam the fridge door closed then walk away the freezer door will pop open. You have to reclose the freezer door separately. That one negative feature makes me give this fridge a rating of 4. I highly recommend that you purchase the Home Depot service warranty that takes care of anything that happens to the fridge. I am going to use it for the freezer door issue. Crossing fingers that the warranty is as good as the salesman said it is! The other thing that I don't like. These are my first stainless appliances. Cleaning fingerprints twice a day and I live alone! Getting ready to purchase new appliances for a beach house I own and as much as I like the look of stainless I will be ordering white for the beach house. Choices are so limited: Stainless, White, Black.
November 30, 2014
Rated 4.0 out of 5.0 by IceCoff357 Nice Refrigerator But Poor Interior lighting.
Overall, refrigerator is nice. Ample space and small footprint. Refrigerator is quiet when running, however, ice-maker makes a little noise when initial filling with water and then when dropping ice. Keeps food at 36- 37 degrees Fahrenheit at (recommended ) middle setting.
Ice-maker has on/off switch.
My biggest complaint is that the LED lights in the refrigerator just are not bright enough. Interior seems dark when loaded with food. Needs to have light bar on top of interior refrigerator section. LG only has lights on side.
April 22, 2014
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by Estelle High quality and perfect size
I'm pleased to have found a refrigerator of an appropriate size for my kitchen. I love how roomy it is and how it matches my other appliances.
September 23, 2014
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by Wonderer Nice looking and large
Only had the refrig a week. Cannot comment on actual efficiency, but the rating sheet gives it top ratings for efficiency. We had an Amana with about 24 cu ft of space - about the same size. Still working, but "had" to color coordinate kitchen. First unit had a dent, second is good. Much quieter than Amana. Easy to install ice maker - just thread the old tubing on back connection. LED lighting does not light the back real well but it is sufficient to see in unit. LED does not produce heat in refrig like the Amana which had a light bulb. A design change could be a removable divider in the center storage drawer, as a double drawer would make less storage. It has no exterior handles which makes it nice and sleek looking. It could have a water dispenser for cold water inside the door. Overall a good product with a good design and a large useable storage space for $998 delivered. For people looking at double door refrigs, look up the difference is calculated space and USEABLE space. Double doors have a much lower percentage of useable space than regular units. This LG is a practical alternative for people needing large amounts of useable space in a nice looking refrigerator.
March 11, 2014
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by Linda It Looks Fantastic Matches all my Stainless Steel Appliances
Fit perfectly in 33 inch wide space with a larger capacity of 23.73 cubic feet. I replaced the Whirlpool 17.2 cubic feet 1980 model it lasted for 33 years with only one repair. The padding was deteriorating next to the coils, fan and compressor it had to be replaced. I had been looking for an energy star refrigerator that would match my appliances, with enough space and storage compartments. The LG Refrigerator door bins allow more then enough jar storage with more room inside for food placed in sealed plastic containers. It comes with the icemaker of which I did not want. The experienced delivery crew had to reverse and reinstall both doors as it comes from the factory only one way. The door alignment and three leveling legs have to be adjusted correctly for the doors to stay closed securely. You can hardly hear the compressor, fan motor or the condenser fan. When cleaning spray the Zepp Stainless Steel Cleaner on a microfiber towel using an east to west direction. Circular motions will scratch the stainless steel finish. I liked the doors without an over sided handle, but opening it took some practice. Let the door open all the way to remove or place items in the refrigerator. The ice blue LED light panels gave the inside a cool clean look, exterior and interior pictures attached. Highly Recommend.
January 24, 2013
Rated 4.0 out of 5.0 by InCharge LG 23.8 cu.ft. top freezer refrigerator
Really like the meat/pantry drawer that extends the width of the refrigerator, the deep fruit/vegetable bins, the deep shelves on the door, and the LED lights in the freezer as well as the refrigerator. Have had this refrigerator only 1 week and am delighted with it.. The refrigerator and freezer work wonderfully, as does the ice maker. The LED lights are on the side of the refrigerator and at the top of the freezer near the front. It would be much better if there were also LED lights in the back of the refrigerator since, after the shelves are full, the back of the refrigerator is hard to see. For that reason I rated the product good and not excellent but would still highly recommend.
September 23, 2014