Rated 4.2 out of 5 by 99
Rated 1.0 out of 5.0 by Dispointed Initially Happy - Now disapointed
We purchased this composted about 6 months ago and were quite happy with it initially. You need a couple of tools and a bit of time to assemble but after that it appeared to be a nice product.
Unfortunately it has a design flaw that will result in it failing on you. To load / unload the composter the entire top hinges open which provides great access. The problem is that it is held closed by two flimsy metal clamps. Initially there isn't a problem but when it gets to ~1/3 full the clamps aren't strong enough to support the lid. When the composter is rotated, they bend, the lid pops open, and its contents get dumped onto the ground.
It is a great concept and the product is 95% great unfortunately the remaining 5% causes it to fail to perform leaving you disappointed with your purchase.
If the latch problem gets fixed then I would give it 4 stars as there are still other issues that should be addressed but they are more nusense issues and not all out failure issues.
February 25, 2015
Rated 4.0 out of 5.0 by NewtonP Just What I wanted
It's about as big a tumbler as can easily be turned. The molded panels are double walled with an insulating airspace so it heats up and retains the heat well. My first batch of compost has been brewing about three weeks and seems to fo coming along we'll even with the cool december weather.
Make sure t set the screws dead verticle to the panels when you screw the panels together. Otherwise it is difficult to install the nuts. Also, pay attention to which self tapping screws you use. There are two different sizes for the panels and hardware.
December 25, 2012
Rated 1.0 out of 5.0 by Tettares Failed After Exactly 36 Days
I assembled this composter on June 14, 2014 (see photograph) and on July 30, 2014 the latches on the door failed, thus dumping the contents onto the ground (see photograph). Somehow over the last 36 days the tension on the latches have loosened and will no longer hold the door closed securely under any kind of a load (see video).
I feel this product is complicated to assemble, even though I am extremely handy and mechanically inclined. The unit is made up of six panels held together with small screws. I feel this is a weak point in the unit...too many piece, thus too many failure points. Also, all the joints allow for liquid to seep through.
Stay away from this product just waiting to fail. I would recommend any other composter with a one piece design, thus stronger. Our prior composter was a barrel style and lasted over ten years.
I will be returning this or asking the manufacturer for an exchange of another style.
July 30, 2014
Rated 2.0 out of 5.0 by Anonymous I suspect that they are Having Quality control issues with latches
Latches started to fail under about 1/5 the load that it should handle. Reached out to Lifetime. They have very nice people and were responsive. They sent me replacement latches right away. Unfortunately, the new latches behaved the same way. I've mentioned the quality control issue to the rep and I hope that it makes it to the appropriate people and the issue gets resolved. Good luck and happy conposting.
April 23, 2015
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by paddy Good Results, Great Value!
I'm pretty lazy about getting out there to rotate it regularly, but I have had mine for several years now, and even with my laziness, the results from this thing make my garden grow like mad! I have had this for at least six years, and only now am I needing to get parts (new hinge pins). We'll see how that goes.
October 22, 2015
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by Bill Hard to rate until we have compost!
This composter comes with a 36 page instruction booklet. Actually that is a good thing because the directions are very detailed. It took me 2 weekend afternoons to build (with some distractions). Overall everything proceeded smoothly. It now has yard and vegetation waste with sticks for aeration and Ringer compost maker in it. Now we'll let her simmer, turn and water as necessary. Looking for our first compost in 2 to 3 months.
May 14, 2013
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by OhioPA Great composter!
I'm delighted with my Lifetime Tumbler: good size, good design, and sturdy. It seems to heat up well, and my vegetation is steadily turning into compost.
November 10, 2013
Rated 1.0 out of 5.0 by diyer Poor latches
Have one just like it. Liked it so much, I got a second one. The newer one came with cheaper latches. The composted is barely 1/5 full and while turning it, the weight of the contents is enough to bend the latch out of shape causing the lid to come lose. They need to be bent back into shape otherwise the lid will open and spill the compost on your feet.
By comparison, the old one's latches cannot be bent by hand and are made of superior metal. It is completely full and the lit stays tightly closed when turning. Working with the manufacturer to get new latches or get a refund.
April 3, 2015