Best Acoustical Underlayment irons out little subfloor imperfections while quieting impact sounds and floor-to-ceiling noise. Not only does it dampen ambient sound in the room it's installed in, but it also inhibits sound from traveling into the room below. Although it is promoted as an upgrade underlayment taking the place of poly foam, it doesn't carry a heavy upgrade price when compared with cork or rubber. In recent head-to-head Sound Transmission Loss tests, Best Acoustical Underlayment outperformed both cork and rubber in the majority of test band frequencies. Certified field sound tests were performed on an installation over a standard 6 in. concrete sub floor, and received an FIIC score of 71.
- Environmentally friendly, utilizing over 89% recycled fibers; green product in contrast to petroleum-based underlayment
- Synthetic fiber pads are fast becoming the most specified underlayment for floating wood and laminate floors by architects and designers because of their acoustical and moisture protection qualities
- Superior acoustical test scores that generally meet or exceed the requirements for sound barriers between floors in multiple housing construction set forth by most municipality or condominium association building codes
- Roll measures 400 in. x 36 in. x 1/8 in.
- Designed to draw sound in and help deaden it, not deflect, helping make laminate floors sound more like real wood
- It has an Impact Insulation Class (IIC) rating of 60 and a Sound Transmission Class (STC) rating of 54
- Offers great moisture protection
- Can be installed over wood or concrete subfloors