Rated 4.1 out of 5 by 26
Rated 4.0 out of 5.0 by Grillboy It does great now, but took a bit of work....
I read a lot of reviews about he handles breaking and I have to admit I'm surprised because they seem quite sturdy to me, and I haven't had any issues with them after quite a few uses.
The grill itself is solid and cooks well. The grates are high quality, the steel is strong and the enamel holds up to abuse. For me it does as good the Weber's I have used, but it took some extra work unexpected work to get it ready due to some fit and finish issues:
The first was the washer that seals the handle to the body. It wasn't quite large enough and allowed a gap where smoke could escape and air could get in. A bigger washer fixed that without trouble.
The next issue I had was that the ash cup did not fit snugly to the bottom damper allowing a lot of air through. Some fiberglass tape along the rim solved that.
My final issue was that the top air damper would's sit flush to the lid because the holes in the lid were deformed. A chat with customer service got a new lid sent to me at no charge and the replacement was absolutely fine.
At first I was going to give this product a lower rating, but the customer service I received was so good and prompt that it bumped them up. That and the fact that the grill works exceptionally well now that I have the kinks worked out.
For the money, it's worth it.
May 6, 2015
Rated 4.0 out of 5.0 by Mike Great value! Don't miss!
I chose this grill over the Weber that sells for twice the price. The only difference seems to be that the Weber has a deeper kettle. Otherwise, the build quality is excellent and the crumpled newspaper ignition system works as promised. I plan on upgrading with some luxury items as another reviewer did. This is a super grill for the money - don't pass it up!
March 30, 2014
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by kaybee001 The perfect grill!!
My boyfriend and I really wanted to have a cookout on the 4th of July, but none of our friends had a grill. So, I shopped around for something larger than the mini table top grills but something that wouldn't cost a fortune. When I found this one, I figured if I used it a couple times that it would be worth it We LOVE this grill. Not only did it survive us wheeling it a couple blocks to and from the park where we had our party but it's also the perfect size to sit on his small porch at his apartment (and still accommodate food for any company we have). We've used it several times now and it still works great! I opted for in-store pickup for my online purchase and experienced no hassles. I also put it together all by myself without any trouble.
August 12, 2014
Rated 3.0 out of 5.0 by Andy will not buy this model again
The handle on our grill split in half after about 12 uses. We have owned it less than 3 months. We cannot find our receipt but will call Masterbuilt about it anyway. It has served it's purpose well up until yesterday.
September 8, 2013
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by guyjones Great Grill For The Price, If You Make A Couple of Easy Modifications
I used this Masterbuilt grill extensively in a vacation rental for two summers, before I decided to purchase one for my home patio. Some reviewers have given negative reviews for this grill, stating as their justification the old adage "You get what you pay for." While I would normally agree with the general truth of that statement, I don't think that it fairly or accurately applies to this grill. I've used it for three seasons, now, and have achieved fantastic results grilling flank steaks, tri-tip steaks, chicken breasts, boar sausages, chicken sausages, shrimp skewers, mushrooms, corn ears, onions, and, smoking large eggplants on indirect heat (for making the delicious babaghanoush dip).
First off, a description of the product -- this is a 22.5" diameter kettle grill, manufactured in China out of powder-coated steel, similar in diameter to the $149 Weber One-touch Gold kettle grill, but, with a slightly shallower depth. It comes with a very useful ash catcher with handle located underneath the grill; a rotating air damper located above the ash catcher, which can be opened fully to allow maximum air circulation for either charcoal ignition or, for high heat grilling, opened to a small slit for lower temperature grilling, or, closed completely to help extinguish the coals after cooking; a rotating damper located on the side of the grill hood, to control ventilation and interior smoke levels; and a wire grid storage shelf located near the two plastic wheels. Grill construction is fairly sturdy; the two handles (one located on the kettle cover, and one located on the side of the grill body) are comfortable, the grill is easily moved about or even lifted and assembly is pretty easy with some decent instructions and diagrams.
You WILL be able to achieve fantastic grilling results with this grill, as good or better than more expensive charcoal grills, IF you make the following simple parts replacements/modifications:
1) Replace the included grilling grate. It features thin bars which don't conduct heat well. Frankly, this is something that I'd recommend doing even if you'd bought a Weber kettle grill; their chrome grill grates are similarly inferior to cast iron. Replace with a cast iron grill grate intended to fit 22.5" kettle grills; there are several models which are easily obtainable from multiple manufacturers. I use the Char-broil Universal cast-iron grate ($36-48). I seasoned it well with flaxseed oil (even though the grate comes with a non-stick coating); the seasoning really increases the stick-resistance of the grill and helps to protect against rust. Cast iron retains and transfers heat better, and, imparts more distinctive grill marks, than steel grill grates. Clean the grill grate after every use with hot water, liquid dish soap and a gentle scouring pad. Re-season with flaxseed oil as needed, every few grilling sessions.
2) Optional, but worthwhile - If desired, replace the included charcoal grate with two steel Weber replacement charcoal grates intended for their 22.5" grills ($10 each). Place the two Weber grates together and rotate each of them so that the steel bars are perpendicular to each other (at 90-degree angles), then drop them into your Masterbuilt. Using two grates instead of one helps to prevent smaller pieces of hardwood or briquets from dropping through the grates into the ash catcher, meaning that you get a longer burn from your charcoal, with fewer wasted pieces. If you want your charcoal to sit lower in the kettle (further away from the grill grate and your food) buy two of Weber's charcoal grates designed for its 18.5" kettle grills; these grates are smaller in diameter, and, will sit deeper (lower) in the Masterbuilt.
3) Always use quality hardwood charcoal when you grill (NOT Kingsford's cheapo mixture of coal dust and sawdust). I'm talking lump hardwood by Royal Oak or another brand, or, briquets made from hardwood, like Rancher, or, Trader's Joe's. And, NEVER buy "instant-light" charcoal that has been pre-treated with lighter fluid. You might as well pour the fluid directly on your food, because that's where the petroleum-based chemicals and odors will end up, anyway.
4) Use a Weber chimney starter ($14.99) to light your coals using newspaper, without the need for lighter fluid. These things are universally loved for their effectiveness, simplicity and low cost.
5) Buy a cheap oven thermometer ($7) and stand it up on the edge of your grill to use use as a temperature gauge.
6) Buy the Classic Accessories Veranda Kettle-Style Barbecue Grill Cover ($19.88) and always keep your grill covered when not in use. This cover is well-made and will protect your Masterbuilt grill from rain and the elements, preventing rust build-up and ensuring a long life.
7) Buy OXO 16-inch tongs ($14) -- the best grilling tool. Use them to lift your cast iron grill grate off the grill and to set it down, in order to pour in more charcoal as needed; to turn food and remove it from the grill, and, to organize and move around burning hot coals after you've poured them into your grill from the chimney starter, without singing your hand and arm. I like to pile my coals in a mound in the center of the grill, allowing for direct heat in the center, and a cooler area on the sides, but, you can also pile the coals to one side, allowing for direct heat on one side, and indirect heat on the other.
That's it folks; follow my tips and you will enjoy years of great grilling with your Masterbuilt.
October 10, 2014
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by Michael Excellent Value
We love this grill. It is half the price of the Weber with the same features. I upgraded it with the Weber Plated-Steel Hinged Cooking Grate, a Brinkmann Temperature Gauge, a Weber Charcoal Grill Tool Holder, Weber Charcoal Fuel Holders (all from Home Depot), and a Lodge Pro Grid Cast-Iron Griddle from a local department store. We "baked" our 12-pound Thanksgiving turkey on the grill. I have never had a better turkey, bar none! Juicy and the best flavor! There's nothing this grill can't do. I recommend looking online for a used Weber cookbook. I found one for $4.50 (shipping included). It's chock full of great ideas for the grill. As a side note, I read reviews saying the handles broke. They're made out of Bakelite. I didn't know Bakelite was still in use today. I took care to tighten the handle hardware, but not over-tighten. I foresee no problems with the handles on my grill. It's hard to go wrong with this grill, especially considering the price.
December 7, 2013
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by Jake Great grill. Appreciate the assembling service by Home Depot.
Grill works well, including the feature that collects the ashes and starts the coals with a bit of paper instead of lighter fluid. It was assembled for me and placed in my vehicle, an appreciated service for someone like myself with disability issues. The product is great and also the service at Home Depot.
June 9, 2015
Rated 4.0 out of 5.0 by Thowie Good grill for the price
This grill is a good buy if you don't want to spend a lot of money for basic grilling. My husband assembled it in about an hour and the grill seems sturdy and durable. I was disappointed with the fact that the description on-line states that it has a warming rack and the grate height is adjustable. Nether is true. I was disappointed with the false advertising, but since we did not discover these faults until after it was put together, we decided to deal with it as is. The lack of an adjustable grate height will take some getting used to.
May 27, 2013