Rated 2.8 out of 5 by 6
Rated 1.0 out of 5.0 by Thebeav Junk
This fence material is junk, 1 out 10 boards are worth using. Spend to much time finding ones that aren't split.
October 23, 2016
Rated 1.0 out of 5.0 by DIY1284 Moldy inventory in the store
We bought one redwood picket to try out stain colors and went back for more. Our local store left out a new pallet of moldy redwood pickets for sale. The mold was so strong, we could smell it ten feet away, and the boards were terribly discolored. We declined to purchase, and made the long drive to Lowes instead. When we checked online the next day, it turned out this HD store had an additional 2800 pickets available. I think it is disrespectful to your customers to assume they will buy moldy wood, and not even offer to search out or order more when it is clear the customer is not happy. We were told the truck sat in Texas for awhile due to storms, and thus, the wood must have gotten wet.
July 18, 2016
Rated 3.0 out of 5.0 by Greenman OK if you spend the time to pick and choose
Even though I would not recommend I have to go buy more because I am in a small town and HD is my only choice. Last time I bought about a 100 slats, $2.82 ea I believe was the price. Took me about an hour and a half to find 100 acceptable slats but still lived with warped, moldy and soaking wet wood.
If you buy them and they are wet do NOT put a space between them as you will end up with a very large space when they dry. I would have even paid more for better quality. I do have to admit the fence looks great and got a lot of compliments....far away view compliments. And don't forget the screws, 9 in each board or they will twist and cup....make sure you also do not try only two backing 2 x 4's either, I used three plus a 2 x 6 ground board and still had movement with 9 screws and 3 cross boards with posts only 6 feet apart (bad wind).. I am getting many more, hope I don't have to spend the whole day there..also, if not using same day it would be advisable to clamp all boards to a flat surface.
April 1, 2016
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by Robert Nice quality wood!
I buy a lot of redwood dog ears from Home Depot, most of the time the quality is good, but this batch seemed like a better grade. I also was able to use the match price from the competitor. I used this to make some great planters. I hope to find more of this quality wood every time I purchase.
June 17, 2014
Rated 3.0 out of 5.0 by Tarby mixed feelings
I built a fence from these pickets, 125 pickets. I read at least 50+ reviews first, buying them based on what I read which were nearly all reported outstanding quality. That said I am a bit disappointed because (the good, bad & ugly):
1. The dog ears were not cemetrical/uneven angles in some of the pickets.
2. The thickness varied.
3. More knots than reported.
4. Quality varied significantly from very bad to very good. I had to hand pick each picket as a result. Very time consuming but HD was great in helping me.
5. Sap, dirt, black marks, &/or mold on some boards.
6. Vertical sides/edges were not always straight making gaps between the pickets in order to keep level.
7. I dried the pickets first, laying flat on concrete. None have warped measurably. Some very slightly but not so that cosmetically it was worrisome or obvious. Then stained them. It soaked up the stain significantly. About 21 boards per gallon applying 2 coats on all 4 sides by brush (scrubbing the stain in). Extremely time consuming but it is supposed to be best for long lasting stain wear.
7. After staining them the wood now looks like natural raw dark walnut. Very pleased with how they took the semi-transparent stain, Cordovan Brown. Just in the keeping with my decor. Very rich, warm, inviting, blends with nature exceptionally well. Extremely pleased! I was afraid it would turn out too red. Nope!
8. Redwood, as I have discovered, doesn't give you splinters so I was able to work without gloves most of the time. Hate to wear gloves. I need to feel what I am going... as well as see.
9. The redwood does not split when screwing in the screws. Not one split so far, I am 2/3rd done.
10. Mendocino Redwood (manufacturer) was great helping me with questions I had but not all questions could be answered.
11. After working with other woods redwood is a pleasure to work with, although quite course but great using as fencing when unsanded.
12. Now for the final test... in 5+ years. I have followed all instructions by each manufacturer of each product I used to build this fence. I am expecting a very long life, like 15+ years!! We shall see.
I gave it 3 stars because I really thought the quality was far superior than what I received. Although, I would buy it again, hand picked, board by board only!
October 5, 2015
Rated 4.0 out of 5.0 by Sturdyman Great Value
I used these fence boards to build raised planter boxes for the garden and they look great!
March 15, 2010