Rated 4.4 out of 5 by 26
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by Cutworm Compact and Powerful Drill and Nice Radio Too
The drill has really good speed and torque. I picked my 2 largest forstner bits to see how it would perform and it had absolutely no problems with the 1" or 1 3/8" bits. Good fast speed for drilling sheet metal as well.
The compact design and LED light lets you work inside cabinets where space is tight and it is dark. The fuel gauge is also nice in that it keeps you aware of the charge you have remaining on the battery.
The radio is a nice addition to the shop. It has presets, a clock and is battery backed so you won't loose settings when replacing batteries. I use the AC adapter mostly in my shop.
The storage bag is nice and roomy with pockets on the inside for bits, tool or what ever you need keeping things well organized. Very pleased with the combo.
May 19, 2013
Rated 4.0 out of 5.0 by Jason31 Great Radio, drill ok too
I am very happy with the performance of the radio. Very good sound quality and good sound volume. The radio comes with an AC adaptor so you can plug it in, rather than use the battery. Just be aware the AC adaptor will not charge the battery or the device (ipod). The battery lasts a long time, at least 4 hours. Two batteries are included so unlike other docking stations for ipods when the battery runs down you just swap to a new one and then charge the battery on the rapid charger that takes about 15 minutes. The radio functions work great with good reception. I am a big fan of the AUX in stereo cable to connect the ipod rather than a special adaptor. The standard stereo cable will work with anything. The radio has a little compartment to hold an ipod. It is not large enough to fit the iphone 5, however I realized I really don't want my phone locked away in a little compartment while I'm working. The door to the compartment acts like a very good shelf to keep the phone so it is easily accessible.
The drill has all the standard features. It's not nearly as powerful as an 18v, but it works fine. It also has a battery indicator, something I have not seen before.
May 20, 2013
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by joelav22 Milwaukee is by far the best on the market
As a disclaimer, I am a huge fan of Milwaukee tools. It isn't because they are inexpensive, it's because they outperform any other tool in their class. This drill has no business being compared to any of the lighter/smaller options. This 12v tool is as powerful or outperforms other 14v and 19v tools I have owned or used. They could have easily put a 1/2" chuck on this little guy and it would have taken care of business.
I really like the compact size. A cordless tool is supposed to go places larger corded models can't. Other cordless tools are as big or bigger than their corded counterparts. I mainly use this for drilling as I use my Milwaukee impact driver for driving screws, but this does drive screws exceptionally well. The chuck has no discernable run-out - which is somewhat rare for a cordless tool with a keyless chuck. Also the keyless chuck has a very strong and positive lock.
Battery life is amazing and the recharge time is only a half hour. This kit comes with 2 batteries
The stereo is awesome as well. I spend many hours a week in my workshop and listen to music. Previously I hooked my digital device to a pair of powered computer speakers with a sub. This is a so much better option. the stereo has a water tight storage compartment that fits most popular smartphones and digital music devices. The sound quality is very good for such a small device. I wasn't overly impressed with the battery life when on battery, but I have it plugged in the majority of the time.
Also this comes with a soft bag to store and carry. What more could you ask for?
Stop messing around with the value priced options and don't waste your money on the over-hyped and under-performing options. Milwaukee's M series cordless tools are the real deal - innovative and very high performance. This isn't 5 year old technology in new fancier looking plastic.
May 23, 2013
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by Doresoom Milwaukee Quality!
The M12 system is the way to go, as far as I'm concerned. I already had an M12 impact driver and reciprocating saw, so the drill and radio with two extra batteries were a great addition to my toolbox. The lithium ion batteries put out plenty of power, and they charge in 30 minutes or less.
- The first thing I did after charging up the batteries was to test out the torque the drill could output. I chucked up the biggest bit in my toolbox, a 1-3/8" spade bit, and tried it out on a pine 2x4. It chewed almost all the way through without a hiccup, and then locked up with about 1/4" to go. I backed it out a little, then tried again and successfully got the rest of the way through. Next I drilled 4 holes in the 2x4 with a standard 3/8" bit, then 4 more with a 1/2" bit. After all of that, I was down to 3/4 charge on the battery.
- I'm pretty happy with the battery life - I'm pretty sure I'd have trouble draining the second battery before the first could recharge. If you've got four or more M12 batteries and two chargers like I do, I'm pretty sure it's downright impossible to run out of juice while working on a project.
- The lithium ion batteries have a pretty flat power output rate, which means they keep up performance even when they're almost drained. Since they don't have a low power operation period to indicate that the battery is amost drained, Milwaukee has integrated a 4-LED power level indicator on the side of the drill.
- The drill has an LED work-light that comes on when the trigger is depressed so that you can see what you're doing in low-light conditions.
- There are 21 different clutch settings in addition to the drill setting. All the even clutch settings are clearly numbered, and there's a satisfying 'click' between each level. Using a 1" wood screw with no pilot, the #1 clutch setting drove the screw in until the head barely contacted the wood surface. The #4 finally set it flush with the wood surface, so the clutch has quite a range.
- The backstrap and grip of the drill is made of a non-stick material which really grabs onto any surface you set it down on.
- The only downside I could think of was that there was no bit holder located on the drill.
- I was impressed with the sound quality, and the volume goes as loud as I wanted (and could stand) in my garage.
- The radio has both AM/FM and an auxiliary input as well. There are 10 presets for radio channels, but you can only scroll in one direction.
- There's a built-in compartment for a phone or mp3 player if you use the auxiliary input (see pictures). It's dimensions are 3" x 5" x 5/8" and you'll need another 1/2" for the auxiliary jack on whichever side of your mp3 player/phone the headphone port is located. Unfortunately it was too small to fit my phone into, so if I want to use the jack I have to leave the door hanging open. There's also an elastic band to hold your audio player in place if it does fit in the compartment, and the edges of the compartment are rubber lined for weather-resistance.
- The reception is super clear. You either get a station, or you don't (at least I didn't run into any that were static-y). I could pick up all of the local stations that I normally listen to while driving.
- An AC to DC power adapter is included so you don't have to tie up one of the M12 batteries to run the radio all the time if power is available at your work site.
The tool bag:
- At first I was a little disappointed this kit didn't come with a hard case, since most of the tools I have do. However, the tool bag is actually really great since it's easier to just shove tools into and not worry about how the cord for the charger is wrapped so the case will close.
- There are six side-pockets on the inside, and they're perfect for stowing the charger's cord in when I'm not using it. They can also hold bit cases, or extra blades for my M12 Hackzall, or sockets for my M12 impact driver.
- The bag is big enough to hold other tools as well other than the radio/drill/charger.
This is a great set that you can't go wrong with. The way Milwaukee made all their M12 tools with interchangeable batteries is pretty awesome. They also sell individual tools without batteries or chargers which really lowers the price if you already have few kits with batteries.
May 22, 2013
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by Drieds Great Radio/Drill at a Radio Only Price!
Have (4) of these radios in the field on jobs. Very light and small enough to store anywhere. Excellent sound quality which is better than many larger, bulkier radios. If you buy the radio only, it's $99.00 w/o a battery, bag, or charger. The xtra $90.00 is well worth "all" the components. Get the larger battery if you want to play your tunes all day.
June 16, 2015
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by Cutworm Top Of The Line Kit
This is an outstanding combo kit. The drill is awesome. It is compact and has plenty of power with a battery that charges quickly and provides excellent run time. There are two speeds. One for drilling and another for driving. The clutch is adjustable and keeps you from over tightening screws. A LED light is provided to let you see when in dark places and a fuel gauge that shows the amount of charge left in the battery.
It also has a radio that I use in my shop all the time. It has good sound with presets for saving favorite stations.
This is an awesome addition to my shop and it will handle any task that is put before it.
May 10, 2014
Rated 4.0 out of 5.0 by DCFurniture Great Little Set
I have owned other 12v brand drills like this and I have to say that by far this is a great little drill. I use it in my furniture shop daily to put hardware on and drill small holes.
It is very versatile and very light which makes it great to put on my tool belt because it doesn't weigh me down. The only downside to it that I can see is that the light only comes on when you are pulling the trigger. It would be nice if it stayed on after you pulled the trigger for 10 sec.
The radio "ROCKS". I like the size I just wish it was a charger as well. The AUX port is nice for Ipod/Blackberry/MP3. All and all great set and you cant beat $79.99
January 21, 2010
Rated 3.0 out of 5.0 by Verified Reviewer Good drill/battery...radio mmmeh
I purchased this radio with a 1/4" driver combo for a few dollars cheaper but it was the same radio. I don't have many opportunities to leave a bad review and the bar rating might confuse you. First, the M12 system is a homeowners dream with great tools and powerful little batteries, they will exceed your expectations. The radio on the other hand, is power hungry and will drain the battery much faster than you would think. Also, there's a supplemental battery slot(difficult to access) for a standard AA to keep the display/time going when the M12 battery is out...count on replacing it frequently. On a positive note, the radio sounds good and has good reception and is well suited to being used with the included power adaptor.
January 13, 2015