Rated 4.6 out of 5 by 20
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by Bobby Should of got This 10 years ago
This tool is unbelieveable. Sanded a 5 ceilings in a hour would of taken 5 hours the old hand sanding way.. I was tired the first half hour but after taking a small break np and no mess .. Best tool I ever bought!!!!!!!
March 29, 2013
Rated 4.0 out of 5.0 by JB Great tool
I rented this from local home depot to test out if it really worked as advertised. I sanded a hallway, staircase and some basement walls and ceilings in about 20 minutes with this tool - it left minimal dust and did a great job of smoothing the feather edges. I had done this job by hand before and it took 3 hours and left a ridiculous mess.
A couple of points:
- make sure you have the proper attachments/adapters to connect to your shop vac; I luckily have collected a bunch of different ones over the year and was able to find one that worked.
- make sure you get enough sanding pads, especially if you are going to be doing places that have outside corners or go into door frames. I had one rip when it went over the edge.
- speaking of outside edges, this is the only real time the sander doesn't suck dust or takes a bit too much off if you're not careful. It's not a flaw; you just have to be aware so you don't mess up your mud job
- it does get a little heavy after a while, mostly because you are reaching out with a 62 inch stick that is eight pounds.
- the sander itself does not detach from the pole, so it's difficult to maneuver in tight spaces. There was one section in a bathroom I couldn't get to because the head would not fit between the toilet and the wall.
Overall I was very impressed - enough that I will consider actually purchasing this tool before my next big drywall project. At the very least, I will rent it again!
June 11, 2015
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by GreenforestBuilders Clearly saves money on labor
I've rented this unit many times before I bought my own, and even with rental costs, this saved me money spent on labor to waste hours tediously sanding drywall. I should have bought this many years ago, but it pays for itself in one or two jobs.
I didn't buy the Porter Cable vacuum, but it works just fine with my HEPA shop vac.
January 17, 2012
Rated 4.0 out of 5.0 by Libbybobibby Easy to use
The customer service was outstanding ! The rep in Largo worked with the 800 rep to find a way that I could purchase this while outside Canada
June 3, 2014
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by RonfromTexas Works as advertised
I think there is more dust from walking on your carpet than sanding with this sander. Just one time of using it will pay for itself. Just remember to put in a fine dust filter in your vacuum and remember to clean it after sanding and you won't have any problems.
March 21, 2012
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by carole Waaaay better than hand sanding and much less dust
My husband got this to help with sanding ceilings. Yes, it's a big, clunky tool, but he loves it. It's not too heavy, and it made sanding a breeze. Does a great job of sucking up the dust while you sand. He's definitely glad he got this sander. Comes with only one sheet of sandpaper, so you may want to pick up some extras.
August 13, 2015
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by Alex Sanding drywall with no dust
After going through a small learning curve the sander was wonderful. On walls it is a dream. I am still getting the hang of it in the ceiling. It was a pleasure to sand drywall without the cloud of dust. I did find that the sanding pads from the Home Depot rental center worked better than the one that came with the sander.
February 23, 2012
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by John great product
The Porter Cable Drywall Sander is a great product. It is almost dustless when hooked to a vacuum and makes short work of sanding an entire room. It does get a little heavy for ceilings but goes quickly to remove the toughest drywall. I am glad I ordered this instead of the cheaper versions. My order was handled quickly and efficiently by our local Home Depot and arrived in great condition. Great product and great service.
December 11, 2013