Rated 2.5 out of 5 by 2
Rated 1.0 out of 5.0 by PDMGuru Not great
We bought a small "test" liguid fuel fire from Home depot a while back which encouraged us to buy this one.
The surround is excellent - nice wood. The main problem is the fire itself. The fire-box does not allow enough air in (even after bending the vent!) so the flame is almost non existent, it also makes lighting the fire very difficult.
I'd send it back, but not sure how to do it now I have disposed of the packaging. It does give off some heat, but not as much as the $130 one we bought as the test!
February 19, 2013
Rated 4.0 out of 5.0 by lostbowyer A fantastic fireplace for the money
I was leary when I ordered this fireplace for my office which is located in the back of an old commercial building. The specifications rated the fireplace at 6500 btus, more than the output of a 1500 watt electic heater.
The unit came well packed and protected. Asembly was easy. At first I could not get the firebox draw open. It kept binding. I finally realized the extinguisher flap, because it can pivot was binding on the top of the firebox when trying to pull it open. Pressing down lightly on the fire lever allows easy opening and closing of the drawer.
This fireplace delivers as advertized when it comes to heat. My office building is kept at 60 degrees. The room is 220 square feet with 9ft ceiling. This fireplace on a normal day, with the doors partially open, will heat the room to 70 degrees. Closing the doors will make the room uncomfortably warm.
Be forewarned, the unit is stained golden oak as advertized. Do not go by the picture online, The stain is lighter, a tradiional golden oak. The fireplace is sturdy and is a nice acent for any room. My only cons are the following:
There is no easy way to remove the glass panel in the firebox. The first few fires discolors the black coating of the firebox, causing a light white powder coating on the inside of the glass, and outside, up the front of the fireplace. it is easy to clean the outside of the residue, but I haven't found a way to clean the inside of the glass, it's not offensive though, but noticable. My other con is the location of the ignitor hole, it is up too high in my opinion. I recommend you purchase a BBQ grill ignitor with a flexible neck.
The fire does burn clean. On a vey cold day, I have noticed a slight odor when the fireplace is first lit, but it goes away quickly and is not offesive. Beware though, at least one brand of non-toxic fuels using a bitterant, has an extremely offensive odor when the fire goes out. I have found only one brand with this issue. The rest are odoress.
I highly reccomed this fireplace. I plan to purchase a second for my home as a backup source for heat. It is simple to fill, no mess and within 5 minutes I am up and running.
January 16, 2012