Rated 4.3 out of 5 by 4
Rated 3.0 out of 5.0 by feash Quality issues
- Is not ready to use out of box as one from a store would be. Blade portion was separate from handle even though if both had been assembled would have fit in the box. Cost a little extra in shipping probably because of length even though the total price of all items ordered qualified for free shipping.
- Two holes predrilled in the handle to attach to two holes in the blade didn't rotational make the D handle orient with the blade
- Was difficult to rotate the handle inside the tight fitting blade to align screw holes. Couldn't see blind screw holes in handle. Finally had to remove handle, scribe a pencil line above holes to rotationally match blade holes, then get depth into blade to line up. Would have been much simpler in a factory fixture to inset the handle in the blade, set the blade to handle rotation, drill 2 holes thru both, and insert 2 screws with a power driver set to the correct torque. Why force customers to go thru an unnecessary hassle and getting out tools? I bought this in June for my daughter to be ready for snow. She doesn't have tools. If she needed a snow shovel, there's a high chance she doesn't have tools. The manufacturer is Rugg and shipped from Troy OH. They could have skipped the step of taping on 2 screws for the customer to do by simply pre-installing them.
- The two holes were too small for the 2 screws provided which had drill bit points requiring many turns with heavy force to enlarge the holes until the threads could grab.
- All the metal appears to be of durable thickness. The aluminum blade has some sharp burr edges where stamped out and sheared off which could cut someone if handled without gloves.
- The handle socket on the back of the blade is made of steel. Could have been aluminum to reduce weight.
- That handle socket could have made the blade stronger with very little more material by extending about half an inch to be riveted to the bottom steel scraper edge using the existing 2 rivets. This would have avoided needing the additional two rivets at the bottom of the handle socket, drilling their holes, and labor. The present design will tend to flex the aluminum blade between these two un-joined steel plates potentially bending or breaking the weaker point aluminum.
- The weight of the snow blade is 3.45 Lbs. The UPS shipping label states 6 Lbs. Is Home D paying excess freight cost (extra was charged to me) or is this compensation for larger than std length?
June 24, 2015
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by snowbound Excellent Quality Snow Shovel
Excellent Quality Snow Shovel.
This shovel should last many years.
January 20, 2015
Rated 4.0 out of 5.0 by dpcsret Seems to be capable
Has not snowed since I bought it but it appears to be built well and should serve the purpose !
February 25, 2014
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by Cattleman Works great in a barn
Not just asnow shovel...we use it for cleaning out a cattle barn. Runs smooth onthe concrete.
February 18, 2014