Rated 2.8 out of 5 by 4
Rated 4.0 out of 5.0 by Jen It Works!
To answer the big question: YES the device works.
We moved into a home with very hard water (tested at 27 grains). Hence the need for the Platinum model which admittedly is pricey. We have copper pipes, so for us, the cost of a decent water softener + pro installation + salt = about a 3-yr break-even point with this device. Since there is a 90-day return policy and we could install ourselves, we decided to take a chance and try it. We're glad we did!
This review is based on having the device installed for 6 weeks. Please note that all evidence is anecdotal. Since the device doesn't "soften" you cannot expect to see a difference in “before” and “after” measured hardness. However, we are noticing improvement in our water. Minerals are not removed but ARE much different and easier to deal with. Here is our experience:
- Immediately noticed a change in water when washing cars. Water droplets no longer leave white spots which are difficult to remove once dried.
- Our coffee machine with water reservoir no longer has large floating particles. Instead there is a very fine white film that develops on the water surface and deposits on the reservoir walls, but is easily wiped clean.
- Dishwasher is starting to do a decent job at washing dishes (it had gotten to the point where we needed to hand wash all silverware and half the dishes even after running a normal cycle).
- Plastic items which had become coated with white hard mineral deposits (that would normally require serious scrubbing or scraping to remove) slowly have had the deposits recede in terms of size and thickness, and eventually these became removable by simply wiping them away with my finger or a cloth (no harsh cleansers or scraping required).
- We are in the middle of the true test which is our shower doors. Before the device, we would scrape the white deposits off the doors with a razor blade, clean the doors, then apply RainX or similar wax to the door. Within four weeks the doors looked terrible and it was time to repeat. We are now at the four week mark with the Scalebuster after cleaning the doors anew. The doors show white water spots from water droplets drying, but these can currently be wiped away with a wash cloth/towel, or easily cleaned off with Chlorax wipes or even Windex.
On Customer Service: We had a few questions about installation. When I called the manufacturer, the CS rep who handles install was busy so I left a message, and he returned my call within an hour. Very good discussion and was I very satisfied with their support.
On Installation: Two helpful hints are (1) find a good way to manage your cable bundle so it does not become tangled during the wrap process and (2) find a decent way to keep count of the number of wraps completed so you do not have to recount multiple times.
Other: The unit does make a low electrical humming noise. It's in our basement so we really don't care. I saw other reviews which spoke of interference with other motors/devices. We have not experienced any interference issues.
September 8, 2016
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by BigLou Excellent Alternative to Salt
I have had the Scale Blaster for over 2 months now and I am very pleased. We have seen a significant decrease of scale in our toilets and shower. Our one toilet had a hard layer of scale which we could not remove. Since we hooked up the Scale Blaster it is almost gone. I called the tech rep at the company before I bought it and he recommended what model I needed for my house and gave me some pointers in the installation. The instruction manual is clear and easy to understand. My old salt conditioner did not work this good and it was a pain always having to buy salt.
March 24, 2015
Rated 1.0 out of 5.0 by ilyas worse experiance
did not work wast of money when i call manufacture about white water spot on all the dishes he said you need a water softener this device not for this
April 10, 2015
Rated 1.0 out of 5.0 by JasonSK lights flash, not much else happens
I discovered this product when my water softener stopped working and I was pricing out worst case scenario remediation, i.e. full replacement. This seemed like a great solution, and I liked the idea of not having a bulky softener, not having to buy salt, and not having salt go out into the weeping bed. I have quite hard water, 29gpg, and after consulting with ScaleBlaster support, I was told this model could handle it. Installation was very simple, although time consuming to wrap a big bundle of wire 200+ times around a pipe. After installing, I waited eagerly for it to start doing its thing. After two months, I could see no difference in the water. I repaired my water softener ($10 in parts and a few hours of troubleshooting), and within two weeks the dishes were starting to get clean again. This confirmed in my mind the ScaleBlaster was not performing as advertised. I brought the ScaleBlaster back to HD for a refund under the 90 day money back guarantee.
March 14, 2014