Rated 4.9 out of 5 by 8
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by Goose Super quality
This is the second garage door I have insulated. I was particularly pleased with the density of the 'poly' and was glad to find a product with a great R factor-nearly twice that of the next best. Have recommended to family and friends. A little more cost was definitely worth it. Garage is much cooler. Daryl Provo, Utah
August 16, 2016
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by Timbo Great for Garage Door Insulation R10
Here in Maryland, I used two sheets of this materiel to insulate my single car garage door.
Light weight and about R10 with aluminum tape to hold it in place. Looks sharp, took 1 hour to do and makes garage cooler in summer warmer in winter. 60 dollar project overall.
However, I am stumped that my dad cannot purchase this very same product in Florida ANYWHERE!
Not sure why some states do NO carry this product at Home Despot. Strange.
June 3, 2016
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by GinaB Great for insulating Arizona garages
Arizona just got into the triple digits this week, so I decided it was a good time to insulate my 2 garage doors. I did a lot of research online and this product seemed superior and is more than double the R value of the pre-cut garage door insulating kits. I cut mine with a linoleum knife and that worked, but heat cutting with an old steak knife (heated in a bowl or grill of coals) might work better. Search YouTube for videos on this. I just didn't feel like going the heat cutting route when it was 100+ degrees inside the garages! I got 4 pieces to fit my garage door voids out of each one of these big sheets - I cut them down to 44.5" x 19.5" pieces. Some had to be adjusted when placing them in the garage door voids since they were slightly different sizes. The foam will make a BIG mess but it's nothing a shop vac can't handle. The foam is harmless and does not itch or irritate your skin, so no need to wear gloves. For 24 voids (8 in a 1 car door and 16 in a 2 car door) it took me about 5 hours of work.
May 31, 2015
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by UnnecessaryOverEngineer SUPERIOR Garage Door Insulator
I researched kits for insulating my garage door for sound & temperature and found that this was comparable in price, That was the only thing comparable, as everything else about this product was SUPERIOR!!!! I did identify two "cons" about the product, but they're not really negatives, just realities.
Here's why you should but this stuff for your garage door:
1) Higher R factor because of the material and I chose the maximum thickness that would fit in my garage door panels
2) Non irritant like the pink, fiberglass, cotton candy (tastes better too!)
3) Firm sheets made measuring and marking with a sharpie and a straight edge super easy
4) Full sheet allowed for panels to be cut bigger than pre-cut ones in kit
5) Easily cut with sharpened side of a putty knife (found tip on line)
6) Perfect cuts on table saw! (used only this method after I tried it with amazing success)
7) Firm, easy to work with pieces easily allowed for puzzle-like assembly around windows
8) Cut panels just right so they slip into panel frames and no connectors needed
9) Foil facing is universal, so if you want to use connectors or adhesive (I used a very small amount of liquid nails for each panel, but I am the Unnecessary Over-Engineer!)
10) Clean up was easy and minimal with a shop vac, unlike what people say about the mess from the styrofoam kits
11) Foil tape matched the product perfectly and covered any flaws from the learning process as well as kept small pieces around the window secured to each other. Also great for patching inevitable future punctures.
12) One side is plain (which I tried to always face outwards, but sometimes I blew it) but the printing on the other side of the facing came off easy with acetone, to leave a simple, silver, series of panels without some company's logo, instructions, warnings, and disclaimers.
This product was so ideal, it placed the success of the project on my shoulders. If something went wrong, it would have been due to "operator error". I could immediately tell the difference in temperature and didn't need a sweatshirt at night during winter. The difference in sound was surprising because now sometimes I don't even hear someone in the family pull into the driveway and only know they've arrived home when they come looking for me in the garage. An unexpected bonus is that the garage door is quieter opening and closing with the insulation keeping parts from rattling and absorbing vibration from motion. Waiting for summer to see the difference in heat and will try and return to give that info.
The Unnecessary Over-Engineer
March 29, 2016
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by yodasands Excellent for garage door insulation
Used this foam to insulate my East facing garage door in AZ. 6 sheets did my entire 3 car garage. I measured temps of 135F in the garage before using now the highest measured temp in the summer is 98F. Reduced temperatures in the rooms above the garage by about 8 degrees.
I was able to cut this to size and friction fit. No adhesives necessary. Don't waste your money on a garage door insulation "kit". As a note, I used the panels that had foil on both sides. It acts as a great sound barrier too.
October 22, 2012
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by HotAZGarage Great garage door insulation!
After a lot of research, I chose this product for insulating my east facing AZ garage door. The R-value on this product is as high as you can get for rigid foam (and MUCH better than the white stuff that comes in the kit). I was able to do my 2-car garage door (with a row of windows on top) with three pieces. If I were going to cover the complete top row (instead of just around the windows) I would have needed another piece.
It made a huge difference in my garage! Before I did it, the garage was always 20-30 degrees hotter in the summer. Now the stays cooler longer in the morning and at its hottest gets to about the same temp as outside. It's actually cool enough to work in there now!
I was able to cut to fit and fit it in without any adhesives. It can be cut with a long razor blade or scored and broken pretty easily. Took me a few hours to do the entire thing. I used some foil tape to seal any exposed edges and make it look nicer.
Don't buy the kits! Buy this instead. Four pieces is cheaper than the two of the kits you need to do a garage door and it looks and works better.
June 3, 2014
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by Merlyn Much better than styrofoam
If you have to cut your sheathing, use this product. Do not use Styrofoam products even though they are cheaper and more plentiful. If your store doesn't have it ask for it to be brought in. Cuts great with saw or knife.
July 26, 2012
Rated 4.0 out of 5.0 by paulv Great for builidng hexayurts
Excellent product for building hexayurts. The 1" panels are ideal. However the 1.5" panels work well too.
June 11, 2013