Rated 2.7 out of 5 by 36
Rated 4.0 out of 5.0 by pepeRoni great product
very satisfied with the final results! I highly recommend this product!
April 25, 2016
Rated 1.0 out of 5.0 by PoolMom Short lived...
Worst Thompsons product ever. New deck, professionally built, cleaned, and dried. THREE coats of Thompsons and I was in love with the natural color and ease of application. As of today I have had to pay someone to pressure wash and sand down the few tiny bits left on the surface. The deck is 1 year old as of last week and this product has been completely gone for over 3 months. Will spend my July 4th weekend using a step ladder into the pool while they finish resurfacing my decking. Nothing on the deck but feet, no furniture to scratch either. Just seasonal foot traffic. I've literally had nail polish last longer. And our winters are mild here I Texas.
June 30, 2016
Rated 1.0 out of 5.0 by John HATE this product.
I HATE, HATE, HATE this product! I used it two years in a row thinking it was a good quality product. I sealed my deck mid summer when it was dry. It looked beautiful all rest of the summer and fall. Once our Chicago winter was over, and the snow melted off, all the sealer peeled off, as if I had never stained the deck. The first time I thought it was a fluke, the second time I knew it was the product.
August 27, 2016
Rated 4.0 out of 5.0 by Marty Good buy
Needless to say, I was a little disappointed in the color and the semi-transparent part. I did not know that Thompson had changed from mineral base to a water base and the waterproofing stain does not apply like the old mineral based products and does not look the same. I am not sure if it was me or the waterproofing stain, but after it dried it looks ok and it is waterproof.
April 11, 2016
Rated 3.0 out of 5.0 by BigBear Frustrated
Background: deck built 3 years ago; boards shrunk due to no protection
Process: power washed deck, sanded deck due to slight riveting from power washer, cleaned with Thompson's 3 in 1 cleaner, stained as directed
1) deck color too orange; wanted anything but orange color; initially going to use maple brown, but used acorn brown to stay away from orange color; even applied second coat per instructions, but still orange
2) deck extremely hot to bare feet
3) water puddles on deck, opposed to beading; have to sweep water off deck after it rains as heat/sun/time does not dry up puddles
4) deck now slick; furniture slides easily; had to put rug under lounge chair to keep it from sliding when sitting down
5) deck also soft; waited 48 hours to put furniture on deck; sitting in chair was putting dents in the wood; put rug under chair to keep from marking deck
1) if you get stain on concrete, use Professional Strength Goof Off; comes with an open top, so you may want to try a spray bottle to apply; suggest going to a dollar store for plastic spray bottle and wire brush ($2 total); apply Goof Off, wait a couple of seconds (don't let dry); stain brushes right off
2) if you get stain on vinyl railings, use Goo Gone; apply Goo Gone and wait a little bit to let soak in, then wipe off; may take a little elbow grease, but found by letting it soak in makes it a lot easier to remove
3) apply stain in cooler weather; will make it a lot easier to apply; applied at 85 degrees in the shade; dried too quickly showing some overlapping
Side Note: ants appeared in house after power washing deck; used Terro Ant Killer; after 2 days ants were gone!
August 14, 2016
Rated 3.0 out of 5.0 by Keukasmallie Did What I Expected
I applied semi-transparent Thompson's acorn tint to my 58' X 4' temporary dock on Keuka Lake in upstate NY. I rolled it on then backbrushed it. It lasted through the summer, a winter where the dock sections were stacked outside, and half the following summer on the dock frame.
The product is easily applied to a surface that is given a normal cleaning. It will last for a year +, Probably need re-doing every two years. I have yet to find a stain that will last longer in the environment I use it.
July 17, 2016
Rated 1.0 out of 5.0 by Kurk Absolute garbage
I have a 5 yr old deck, well seasoned. Pressure washed prior, and used Thompson's deck wash with stiff brush. Then pressure washed again. A little too solid for me , not as semi-transparent as I would have liked. The color was disappointing as well...but too late for that. Areas that seen the most sun lifted the most. Absolute disappointment. Now do sand the deck down and go with a quality stain, or take the chance and stain over this garbage? Not pleased....will be going back to HD to see if they stand behind products, or value their customers.
May 13, 2016
Rated 4.0 out of 5.0 by Melissa attractive color
beautiful color. I selected the semi-transparent so that I could see some of the natural grain come through, which was successful. The product goes on easily and a little goes a long way. It should be applied with a roller, not a brush, as the brush leaves strokes. After application, the water beads right up as seen in the picture. in the picture, you can also get a feel for the color as you can see the unpainted vs. painted wood. I would give it a 5 star, except that I am a little worried about the products durability after a year. hopefully when applied properly, it will wear well
June 2, 2015