Rated 4.2 out of 5Â by 38
Rated 4 out of 5Â by Luke Satisfied with overall quality
This play set kit was purchased 9/2013 while on sale. We ordered online and the kit was delivered when promised. Instructions are clear and I was able to figure out all the details. I recommend downloading the PDF of the manual and read it entirely once or twice while you wait for delivery. It also tells you what lumber you need to purchase so you can get that ahead of time also. The hardware that came with the kit was above my expectations. I would rate it 5 out of 5. Pay close attention to what you are using as some of the hardware descriptions aren't very clear. The biggest flaw in the kit is a lack of labeling of anything. It's easy enough to measure the wood and hardware, but I still mixed up a few small screws with the wrong size. The wood quality probably varies per kit. Mine was pretty good with the exception of the floor boards for the elevated platform. They were low quality: warped, sappy, knotted, rough cut, etc. If the whole kit was that bad I might have returned it and bought the hardware only version. Luckily it was only a small amount of the lumber, and it's very convenient not having to cut the wood. I think the 6-8 hour build time frame is optimistic. I built this mostly by myself (I had help when two sets of hands were needed), and I would guess I spent a solid 12 hours putting it all together. I would recommend this kit, but I would look closely at the wood quality as soon as it arrives.
September 24, 2013
Rated 4 out of 5Â by erik21 Matterhorn No-Cut Play Set
Make sure you remember in the price you need to buy the extra 4"x4"s. I think for us it was about $65.
We added two extra 2"x4"s, one on the end of the rope ladder. The seconded at the plastic climbing ladder, as they only give you one board for it, I found these TWO points both had excessive movement.
I would also buy your own pressure treated wood screws ahead of time as I found that their wood screws were not that great, however the ones that hold the metal brackets on were very good. (around $40)
I did the swing set by myself, I think with the kids running around and what typical 1 and 3 years do to slow you down it took me about 12 hours total.
Last but not least, when you get to the point of the roof make sure to measure your distance at the top 4"x4"s and not just go with the 1 and 3/4 inch measurement they give you.
May 4, 2011
Rated 5 out of 5Â by RandaL Happy Son & Daddy
My husband & I purchased this playset for our son's 2nd Birthday. We had searched for months looking for a quality set at an affordable price & were happy to find this one (we got it on sale too)! The box says 6 hr. assembly - my husband put it together by himself in 7, and he was very pleased with the ease at which it went up. We had a close friend who bought a similar model from a different store & was putting it together the same week - it took 2 of them over 12 hours to assemble theirs. They were shocked at the difference. The pieces were predrilled so the wood did not split. The directions are clear & very easy to follow. Our son loves this set! He can climb easily up the ladder & is working on mastering the rock wall. We are very happy with our choice & the quality of this set!
July 23, 2010
Rated 2 out of 5Â by fatdad Poor quality of lumber and directions
Purchased for my granddaughter and went about putting it together with the vaguest instructions possible.I had to go to home depot to purchase lumber to replace boards that were split in half, had knotholes almost as wide as the board,boards were warped,twisted,and two pcs were not there. For what it cost to buy the playset and slide,then the 4x4s and replace the junk they sent i find it to be a lousy deal.The quality of the swings and hardware are not very good either. I would never buy another one.
May 6, 2013
Rated 5 out of 5Â by SuburbanDad A better choice than most sets at this price range
We shopped many, many sets before finally deciding on this one. The primary reason we chose this model is the use of 4x4s as the major structural supports which makes it far more solid than sets found at other major retailers. Set-up time: Box says "6-8" hours. Including the trips to purchase the set and the lumber, it took my wife and I two days. We were moving slowly and cautiously, and had the kids running around during assembly as well. Tips from our experience: 1.Download the manual online before you even purchase the set to get familiar with it. (Google search matterhorn.pdf and you'll find it.)
2. Pre-sort all the hardware and lumber. All reviewers say this and it's a must do. Took us about an hour to check in the hardware and measure and chalk the boards.
3. Pay extra attention to the measurement of the brackets that will ultimately hold the 4x4 where the swing beam attaches. This needs to be accurate for the swing beam to be level.
4. The roof is a challenge. Once built, the instructions simply tell you to install it up top and it's up to you to figure out how to center it and level it. This would be best with three sets of hands, but get creative with propping up the roof while you install it and you'll be fine. We used a couple of buckets under the edges of the roof to support it while we leveled and drove the screws in. The instructions fail to mention that you have to drill through the metal brackets on the posts at one side of the roof, but once you drill them, it's easy enough.
5. The instructions are generally good enough overall, but understand that you'll have to deal with the nature of wood. Not all of your 4x4s are going to be straight, some of the included lumber won't be cut perfectly, and some of the hardware might have some bad threads. It's up to you to work through the minor but frequent challenges. Still, keep the faith and don't get discouraged. It will all come together nicely and look great when you're finished.
6. As mentioned, it's cheaper to buy it in the store than it is online. 599 for the major kit, 89 for the slide, and about another 80 in 4x4s.
7. The kit comes in a large box banded to a half-pallet. If you don't have a pick-up, don't worry, the contents of the box are all packed separately, so you can easily open the box and put all the individually boxed and banded boards into an SUV.
8. Before you hammer in the staples at the bottom of the rope ladder, stand of the rope ladder rungs a few times after it's been bolted up top. This will pre-stretch the rope and allow you to take up more slack.
We're very happy with this set. It looks great, feels heavy, sturdy and the kids love it. Compared to the thin cedar of other retailer's sets, this set seems in a completely different league at a great price.
July 5, 2010