Rated 2.7 out of 5Â by 3
Rated 4.0 out of 5.0Â by PFFLYER Looks great, hard job, but you need to work smart
I am working on a room approximately 16-3 by 13-3 covering a ceiling in a ranch style home built in 1952. After 2 weekend days totally about 14 hrs., half of the job is complete. The issue with this product is, like most manufactured items, tolerance consistency, packaging, and damage. Don't be discouraged by small crush points, or edge damage as you will be cutting many boards to fit what every pattern you come up with. Get a laser measuring tool!! I have runs that are 3 48" boards and 1 18" cut which leaves about 12" for every two runs in the short length of the room. I reverse the pattern every row. I also have a second run which is a 35", 2 48". and 1 30" that is used when there are available boards. There are placed every 5-7 rows when there are damages that fit that run. I am applying this right over an existing Armstrong ceiling that is glued and stapled. Some don't like the screws included with the hardware but in this application they work great. Being small and very sharp, the grip the old tile effectively. The first run was pilot drilled and wood screwed through the tile along the wall, and at each end. The install clips are another story. Most of them can be bent or twisted...try to revive them by prying them with a flat head screwdriver. Most boards require 3 clips. Now some of the inconsistencies. The first 3 boxes I opened contained Nordic Oak, not English Walnut, even though the boxes were printed correctly. I returned them immediately to the store, and reordered online. Also, I ordered 17 cartons and they came LTL on a pallet. You have to keep the pallet. The reordered cartons are coming UPS...that worries me. The remaining boxes had to all be opened to check for correct item so I separated them in to "damaged" and usable. Out of the 14 remaining cartons there were only 14 pieces deemed unusable and out of those I have cut about 6 for shorter pieces. Not bad at all, and I still have cartons coming that were figured mostly as waste usage anyway. But check the planks carefully. The butt joint bevels can vary and when slid together they can slide in too deep effecting the bevel appearance and the width of the groove. The tongues can vary in thickness and may not slide into the groove easily at all. Don't be afraid to sand or trim them. You have to fudge some of the setting of some boards as you find you make get one that is warped not in the flat position, but on it's side. As you get going you find ways to make some of them fit. They are covered with red like dust. Wipe them well so you can see any imperfections. But since they are so dark, touch ups are easy. We even accidently had a plank fall out of the groove and break a small piece of the stationary board. Elmer's glue fixed that. With two of us working it is a lot of up the ladder, down the ladder. Most of the screws I installed I did by hand with a small Phillips screwdriver. You can't do this alone...some boards just do not go in so it takes someone holding, someone pushing, or tapping with a hammer and a wood block, and listening to the grunting and swearing. Some runs are effortless...once you see about 4-5 rows up, the appearance makes you keep going. It looks terrific. So maybe one day out of each of the next two weekends and it will be done. Be patient, work smart and take your time. You won't do an average size room in a day unless it is newer construction....big maybe here. Make shure you snap chalk lines to start square and check your run to insure you are not running off line. Good Luck !!
September 15, 2014
Rated 3.0 out of 5.0Â by sr60 this product is great once its up
product needs to be packaged better we ordered 2 extra boxes and had to use due to product damage when we opened boxes 15 of 16 clips and screws all over container causeing damage to wood wonjderful after installed but not a value at all spent lots of money on lots of damaged ones we could not use
February 18, 2014
Rated 1.0 out of 5.0Â by redrock Looks great, hope nothing bumps it.
This product was very frustrating to install. The slightest irregularity in the ceiling joists caused the tongue to break at the clip. The surface treatment is so thin that the smallest bump caused it to show through to the ugly pink board underneath. It took forever to install, because you work each row into place very gingerly and slowly to not cause damage to the tile you are working with or those around it. Then you have to stop because you grow increasing frustrated and just have to walk away. All that being said it looks really nice, but I feel that if any thing bumps into it there will be damage.
June 26, 2014