Rated 3.9 out of 5 by 52
Rated 1.0 out of 5.0 by DoJoMa Second one that went bad
After purchasing the TVH500 because of excellent reviews in CR, I was very disappointed. The first one I purchased was defective (no heat) out of the box. When I received the second one, it seemed to work okay, but after just a few nights, I found out otherwise. The heat settings keep reverting back to 65 degrees. There is ample room all around the heater, so it shouldn't be overheating. It never heats the room to the temperature set.
February 25, 2015
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by Meduso99 Bought 2 of these at same time !
I bought 2 of these on sale at the same time around Thanksgiving of 2014. Came boxed inside another box(both shipped inside their box, but within same outer box for double protection). No damage, super happy about that. Normal smell at beginning of use, but it goes away after a few hours of use. Both units registered same temps and work on same remotes as well. Cool Beans. Have used on cooler nights to take chill out of rooms, but also overnight to keep rooms at happy temps while we slept. So far, both units have worked flawlessly. WE DID BUY THE EXTENDED 2 YEAR WARRANTY just in case for better peace of mind.. Would I recommend, heck yes. Any flaws as of yet, none ! Remote works easily from across room while on couch, or in bedroom from corner of room. No needing to get up to turn off/on. Just every now and then, we turn it down/up a degree or two to keep us at the right temps.
December 26, 2014
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by Major Excellent heater
This little heater turned our 3 season porch into a 4 season porch to enjoy on the coldest of Iowa days.
January 3, 2015
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by Mario Great unit.
Nice small unit. Lots of power. Heats up space well.
Like the digital temperature readout.
December 23, 2014
Rated 3.0 out of 5.0 by DSPGuy I'm not so hot on it.
I can tell that Vornado intended to build a quality heater in this. It's all metal and should last a long time. But there are some issues.
The Good -
1) It is built heavy duty out of metal. There is almost no plastic in the unit. The cord is heavy duty. I expect this unit to last longer than I will. I'm nearing 60 years of age.
2) The outside of the case stays cool with the heater on high.
3) It appears to be super safe with respect to small children.
4) Once I fixed the loose parts in it, (see below) it is very quiet.
5) It does have a tip sensor which turns the unit off if it tips forward or backwards. But the way it's designed, it's not likely to fall over. It has a wide base and is very stable.
The Not So Good -
1) The thermostat in it is not that useful. It often registers higher than the actual room temperature, so shuts off the heater early. The thermostat seems to be warmed up at times by the heater itself. This is especially true when the heater has been on for a while, and then you shut it off. The lack of air movement through the case causes the residual heat in the unit to warm up the thermostat. The measured temperature that is displayed in those cases is higher than the room temperature. And hence, the heater doesn't turn itself back on when it should. Once air starts flowing through it again, the thermostat temperature goes back down to where it should.
2) If you turn it off and then turn it on without unplugging it in between, it maintains the last settings. But any time you unplug it, and then plug it back in, when you turn it on, it goes to its default mode which is the fan (unheated) and the thermostat set to 65 degrees. I guess that's OK in the summer. But in the winter, that results in a blast of unheated air whenever it's turned back on. Then you have to change it back to the mode you want at the temperature setting you want. A small amount of non-volatile memory which could hold these settings is just a few cents. (I'm an electrical engineer.) They should have included it in the design.
3) Like others have complained about, the LCD backlight feature goes out a few seconds after the last time you touch a button. What's on the LCD at that time is difficult to see, even in a lit room. In a dark room, it's impossible to see, of course. A heater of this caliber could have a small photosensor installed to adjust the backlighting to the the ambient lighting conditions. Then the backlight would be bright enough to see what's on the LCD in a bright room, and dim enough not to be an annoyance in a dark room.
4) The most annoying aspect of this unit is that there was quite often a buzzing sound coming from the unit when it was running. Put your hand on the unit and the buzzing would stop. Remove your hand and it would start again. I took it apart to find the buzz. I determined it was where some of the pressed sheet metal parts slid together. There wasn't any pressure on the joint, so the pieces were free to vibrate against each other. I put some bends in the metal tabs and put it all back together. It's quiet now.
5) I still haven't found a use for the remote control that came with it. I guess in some situations it might come in handy, but it's hard to imagine when that would be. You can't see what's changing on the LCD panel as far a mode or thermostat setting, unless you're right there 3 feet from it where you don't need a remote anyway. And there is no place to attach the remote to the unit to keep it with it when you're not using the remote. I put some Velcro on the side of the unit and on the back of the remote. That works fine. I only bought the unit with the remote because at Home Depot at the time I wanted to buy the heater, it was actually less expensive than the same unit without the remote.
I wouldn't say that it is a waste of money to buy this unit. But some of the aspects of it are plain annoying. The design could be changed very little and at very little additional cost to get rid of all the annoyances.
January 1, 2015
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by Anthix This is a great room heater!
This is the 4th Vornado that I have bought and it's the best one yet!
December 10, 2014
Rated 1.0 out of 5.0 by JT23 Worst Heat Fan Ever
I've been using this fan for 3 weeks now and it's just awful. There is only one fan speed despite the fan having a High and Low button while in heat mode. But the high and low feature is only for the heating element. The fan which distributes the heat is always the same speed which is terribly low and slow. This slow fan makes distribution of the heat in our small bedroom extreemely poor.
The fan should have more than one speed.
And the one speed it has should be higher than it's very low speed that it is.
The construction of the housing of the item is great. Everything else fails.
Don't get this unless you are putting it under your desk at work. It will not heat up a room that is 10x12 on the coldest nights.
January 13, 2015
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by Skip met expectations
Consumer Reports recommended this space heater and I found it online at Home Depot at a very good price. It works well heating our family room which otherwise is fairly cold. I like the way it looks and best of all its exceptionally quiet so you don't have to chose between hearing the television and being comfortable.
January 27, 2015