This deciduous oak has a pyramidal shape in its youth and becomes more rounded as it matures. It is well adapted to alkaline soils, making it a superb tree for planting in cities. Well-adapted to a wide range of soils and climate conditions, this plant will grow in very dry to occasionally wet soil. It adapts well to drought but prefers moist, rich, bottomland soil where it grows quickest. Mature specimens have dense crowns that reach heights of 90 ft. and spreads of up to 60 ft. Foliage is dark green during summer turning orange-red in fall. This item ships bare-root which means it is dormant, with no leaves, no soil, and the roots are exposed. Winter planted bare-root trees are more economical due to ease of handling and transporting.
- Botanical Name : Quercus shumardii
- Hardiness : Zone 5 to 9
- Attractive fall colors
- Rounded form grows to reach heights of 75 to 90 ft.
- Well adapted to high pH of city soil
- Makes a beautiful urban shade tree
- Full Sun
- Seasonal - November through February depending on weather patterns