Rated 4.4 out of 5Â by 58
Rated 5 out of 5Â by VegasJay Awesome product
I bought my first set of Gemmy Light Show Shooting Star lights about 3 years ago. Very awesome product and have been getting more sets each year.
1) Despite other imitations, no other product functions as smoothly and efficiently as these. GE and other brands have made their version of icicle lights, but they operate differently. Some have lights that "drip" or "shoot" too slowly or not appear as smooth as Gemmy. Others are waaay too pricey for what theyre worth.
2) The cords are white which helps blend into the exterior of the home, or perfect for lacing a white Christmas tree. You can connect many sets end-to-end and they are the perfect icing on the cake of the standard lights that everyone has nowadays.
3) Products are good quality and durable. These icicles can handle a bit of physical abuse and are not easy to break or crack.
4) They last very long. When I first purchased them, I ran them for nearly the entire day starting in November since the front of my home faces away from the sun, has plenty of shade, etc. I kept them up until mid-January. With every passing year, the old sets still function as smoothly and brightly as the new ones. Sometimes I get them mixed up.
5) Not as prevalent as your standard decorating LED lights you find in most stores. While there are many Gemmy lights out there, they are, in comparison to others, fewer and farther in between. Plus, they are more expensive. This translates to rareity and the increased likelihood that you will be the only one on your block with these lights--that is unless you and your neighbors live in a multi-million dollar residential community. In that case, more power to you! Just please leave some for me :)
1) While the strobe "shooting" appearance is the smoothest compared to all others, there is no feature to adjust the speed. Many imitations have not managed to capture the essence of Gemmy's shooting star feature, but they have managed to add features such as twinkling options, speed options, pattern options, and even various color options.
2) A bit pricey, when I bought them first at $25 a set 3 years ago. And the prices have been steadily rising.
3) Need to buy MANY sets to compete with the length of standard exterior lights. While such sets are 15-20 feet long, Gemmy lights tend to be short, which means having to buy more.
4) They sell out quick, regardless of price. Even if you've made up your mind about shelling out the dough for these lights, get em fast! I've seen the lights sell-out on Black Friday after Thanksgiving.
5) Not all variations/models are sold at every store. Home Depot, as well as other major brick-mortar stores, carries the most common/popular models such as the Gemmy Light Show 8-icicle Shooting Star Set. However, at another home furnishing department store in my area, I found the Gemmy Light Show 12-icicle Shooting Star set, which has varying icicle sizes--a model that was not released in Home Depot stores. Shop around.
November 26, 2011
Rated 4 out of 5Â by Gregg Great Lights
We have purchased 13 sets for our house over the last three years and people who have seen them have commented how good they looked. We placed C9 leds over them in the rain gutters and they look awesome. The only complaint that I had is once icicle leaked and enough rain got in to blow one of the leds. Gemmy has been unresponsive to my request to replace it after three attempts to contact them.I will replace this set myself as they are that good. And yes they go fast around here too. I bought mine before Halloween and had two go to two stores.
October 7, 2012
Rated 1 out of 5Â by RainH2O Unacceptable failure rate.
I bought fourteen sets of these lights a few months ago. I tested each set when they arrived and they seemed to work fine, so I put them away until Christmas season. I put them up two days ago. So far I have had an icicle go bad on three sets. Three out of fourteen bad in the first two days! So far that's a 21% failure rate! They're pretty, but don't waste your money.
November 25, 2012
Rated 2 out of 5Â by lagardengirl2 Not worth the money
I bought 5 sets of these lights 2 years ago and was happy with them the first year. Last year, after proper storage, only two of the strings worked. This year none of them are working. At nearly $30 for a set of 8 icicles, I would have expected them to last longer. Don't buy these lights, you'll be disappointed.
December 3, 2012
Rated 5 out of 5Â by Penny Nice
Didn't know lights were more blue in color but I still light them.
December 4, 2012