A pair of bookends provides a stylish and sophisticated way to neaten your shelves and put your books on display. They can also make a statement. With designs that range from playful to refined, bookends speak to your personality. Unique bookends also make great gifts.
Lighthearted Bookend Options
Quirky bookends add a touch of whimsy to a room. They can give a nod to your favorite hobby or add an artsy vibe to a shelf, mantel or tabletop. Here are some lighthearted choices:
• Animal Bookends. Choose from birds, sheep, whales, dog or cat bookends. Silver or brass elephant bookends with a marble base are an elegant gift for a world traveler.
• Sports and Hobbies. Place golf-themed bookends in a den or rec room. Choose a baseball- or basketball-themed version to keep a sports fan’s card binders organized. For the cycling enthusiast, a set of bicycle bookends is a unique reminder of a favorite pastime. From music notes to chess pieces, options abound.
• Kid-Friendly. Display kids’ favorite board books and chapter books with figures that are see-sawing, sliding or playing tug-of-war. Or, go with a set of bright red hearts for a loving addition to a bookshelf.
Choices With Style
Modern bookends with clean lines add a stylish vibe to contemporary decor. Choose a set that accents the decor scheme of your room.
• Industrial. Industrial-look bookends, such as small polished chrome models of the Empire State building or lantern cast-iron bookends, fit well with industrial decor. Use them in a room with a lot of dark woods and metal fixtures.
• Nautical. For a home with a lake or beach theme, choose nautical bookends to complete the look. Popular options include sailboats, anchors and ship’s wheels made of pewter-finish cast iron.
• Cultured. Keep your books organized with decorative bookends made of stacked ceramic books with a shiny gold finish. Or, choose simple letters and symbols: Place a letter “A” on one end of your books and a “Z” on the other. Old-world globe bookends fit perfectly in a traditional library or study, while a style made of a vintage camera is a perfect fit for an art room.
For books that are tall or heavy, choose metal bookends that are of similar height and have weighted bases. A lined bottom will prevent them from scratching surfaces.