A chest of drawers is a workhorse in the bedroom. With a variety of features to choose from, including cabinets, drawers and large top surfaces, dressers can hold countless essentials. Here’s how to select one that serves your personal needs and looks great at the same time.
Choose a Style
Wooden dressers come in an array of styles to fit any taste. The look you choose has the power to enhance your room:
• Modern. Today’s modern pieces have simple lines and metal knobs and pulls. Choose a sophisticated black dresser or one with a wooden finish that complements your room’s decor. An espresso dresser is a good fit for many modern spaces. The rich, warm tone evokes the cozy feel you want in a bedroom, and it also works well in formal areas like dining rooms and entryways.
• Youthful. White promotes a sense of energy and youthfulness, making a white bedroom dresser an ideal choice for a nursery or a child’s room. Light wood options, like pine, also give a room a bright, clean feel.
• Classic. If you have a home with a farmhouse style, a vintage three-drawer dresser with a natural finish can set the stage for your antique decor. Oak is a great choice for that sturdy, time-tested look.
You can also update the hardware on your bedroom dresser set to add a twist that reflects your home’s design. Swap out basic pulls and knobs with a trendy option like brass or polished nickel.
New Uses for Dressers
With so many stylish choices available, it’s easy to put dressers to use in a variety of ways:
• Use a bureau to organize art supplies in a craft room.
• A set with deep drawers is perfect for clean towels and sheets.
• A narrow nightstand with drawers can double as a console in a hallway.
• Four-drawer dressers work well for guest bedrooms to keep overnight basics at hand.
• In a dining room, convert a bureau into a bar. Stack trays, glasses and bar tools on the surface. Fill the drawers with linens and utensils.
• Dressers are the perfect size for a bedroom media center. Set a small TV on top and watch easily from the bed.