To add a splash of color or a hint of design to a wall, you don’t need a whole can of paint or a roll of wallpaper. Add creative style with mess-free wall stencils. Perfect for the DIYer, stencils help you achieve wall art and color effects limited only by your imagination.
Choosing Wall Stencils
Wall decor stencils are an inexpensive and quick way to create a colorful accent to any room in your home. Whether it’s a bold focal point or a subtle wall stencil pattern, you can find an approach that complements your tastes. Here are some ideas:
• Floral. Add elegant floral stencils to mimic a chair rail in your dining room. Or, choose one favorite flower as a dainty accent in a girl’s room.
• Quotes. Choose a personalized wall quotes for daily inspiration in your kitchen or master bedroom.
• Geometric. Make a strong design statement with large stencils with a repeating geometric pattern on a full wall. Or, look for two-layer stencils to achieve interesting textured effects using different colors.
• Themed. Choose nautical stencils for a beach-themed rec room, or go with a Moroccan wall stencil for a cultured look.
• Playful. Animal stencils, letter stencils and number stencils are good choices for a kid’s bedroom or playroom.
Tips for Painting Stencils
Modern wall art stencils are reusable and made of durable mylar or polypropylene. Attach the sheets to the wall with blue painter’s tape or spray adhesive. For smaller applications, look for new adhesive-backed products. You can reposition them and minimize bleeding of paint under the sheet. Most patterns have registration marks to help with the positioning of repeating wall stencil designs.
Follow the manufacturer’s instructions. Practice first to get a feel for how much paint you need on the brush or roller. Do a test run on a sheet of paper. Then, work slowly and carefully on the wall. Blot off excess paint onto a paper towel, so coverage is light and precise. Wait for the paint to dry before removing the stencil.