When choosing a vacuum cleaner it’s important to consider whether you need one that can handle both carpeted and hardwood floors, If you’ll be cleaning stairs, upholstery, or draperies, if you prefer a bagged or bagless model, and whether you or any members of your household suffer from allergies or asthma.
Upright Vacuum Cleaners
Uprights are self-contained units with the hose, power brush, vacuum bag or dirt cup and motor housed together in one body.
- Well-suited for carpet cleaning
- Most models can be adjusted to accommodate the height of the carpet
- Built-in hoses allow for cleaning of upholstery, stairs and other surfaces
- Look for brush on/off switch for cleaning bare floors without causing damage
- Motorized pet brushes remove hair and dander
- Lightweight models improve maneuverability and are easier to transport
Canister vacuums offer flexible cleaning power with a main unit that houses the motor and vacuum bag or dirt cup. A hose connects the main unit to the power brush or appropriate attachment.
- Often include a variety of separate attachments used for a wide range of tasks
- Power brushes are often slim enough to get under low-lying furniture
- Suction control lets you reduce the airflow for use on drapes and curtains
- On-board tool storage allows easier access to accessories
Robotic models take care of household messes for you and work best on hard floors and low carpets.
- Usually includes advanced capabilities that help them plot a course, detect edges and avoid stairs
- Operates via rechargeable batteries
- Many are designed to return to the charging station when done cleaning
- Programmable models can be set to clean at predetermined times
Central Vacuum Systems
Central vacuums are internal cleaning systems that are built directly into the structure of a house. The main unit is installed in a central location and suction ports are placed throughout the home. A long cleaning hose is the attached to the ports.
- Provides quiet operation
- Doesn’t require emptying as often as other vacuum types
- Eliminates the need to lug a heavy machine around
- Most models have a 30 foot hose or longer for easy cleaning in hard-to-reach areas
Portable and Cordless Vacuums
These portable, lightweight vacuums are designed for light cleaning around your home, vehicle, boat or RV. They work well for quick spills and messes.
- Cordless designs let you clean anywhere
- Easy transport and maneuverability
- Wall-mounted models offer quick, simple access for everyday cleanup
These vacuums use heated water and powerful suction to treat tough stains and remove stubborn dirt from carpets.
- Some units offer separate tanks for clean and soiled water
- Heat booster feature keeps water warm for easier stain removal
- Look for unit with one-pass application and extraction for quick cleanup
- Variable brushes are used to treat more difficult stains
- Selectable brush speeds allow you to adjust cleaning intensity
Types of Vacuums
Feature Benefits: Brush on/off function, HEPA filtration, built-in hose with included attachments, self-propelled movement, adjustable height, ergonomic handles, lightweight design, bagless dirt storage. Recommended For: Carpets and rugs, hard floors, furniture, upholstery, stairs.Shop Now
Feature Benefits: Hard floors attachment, upholstery brush, HEPA filtration, on-board tool storage, retractable cord, suction control. Recommended For: Carpets and rugs, hard floors, furniture, upholstery, stairs.Shop Now
Feature Benefits: Hands-off floor cleaning, rechargeable batteries, programmable cleaning schedule. Recommended For: Hard floors, low-pile carpets and rugs.Shop Now
Feature Benefits: Long hose, central installation, suction switch, quiet operation. Recommended For: Carpets and rugs, hard floors, furniture, upholstery, stairs.Shop Now
Feature Benefits: Lightweight design, cordless models available, wall-mounted storage. Recommended For: Small spills, carpets and rugs, bare floors, stairs, automobiles.Shop Now
portable steam cleaners
Feature Benefits: Varied attachments, on-board heaters, selectable brush speed, long power cord, hard floor cleaning capabilities, brush type. Recommended For: Deep cleaning, carpets and rugs, furniture, upholstery, hard floors.Shop Now
- HEPA Filtration. Helps capture a wide variety of dirt and dust particles that can irritate allergies and respiratory ailments.
- Dirt Sensors. Detects the presence of dirt and lets you know when you have thoroughly removed all dust, dirt and debris from an area.
- Self-Propelled Motor. Allows you to effortlessly move across the floor and maneuver around furniture with a smooth motion.
- Bagless Technology. Includes a reusable canister or cup to collect dirt and eliminates the need to buy bags.
- Telescoping Wands. Gives you a wider reach and allows you to get at areas that are hard to clean.