Easy Ways to Clean and Maintain Countertops
Time Required: Under 2 hours
Kitchen and bathroom countertops are the focal point and most frequently used part of their respective rooms. This guide will show you a few easy steps to take to keep your countertop surface looking spotless, even with regular use.
- Clean the countertop surface with a damp, nonabrasive cotton cloth and a mild, pH neutral liquid detergent or household cleaner.
- Rinse with clean water.
- Dry the surface with a fresh cotton cloth.
- If a stain remains, apply a paste of baking soda and warm water to the area.
- Allow the paste to pull out the stain.
- Don’t rub the paste because it will be slightly abrasive.
- After a few minutes, wipe the paste away and rinse with clean water.
- A grout stain remover may be needed to restore the original grout color for stained tile countertops.
- You may need to reseal your granite or marble countertop after a certain amount of time.
- As a general test, add a few drops of warm water to the surface of your countertop.
- If the water absorbs into the stone in under 3 to 4 minutes, it may need sealing.
- Choose a sealer that will protect your countertop and can be easily removed.
- Buff it in until you have a nice, shiny surface.