How to Build a Storage Ottoman
Time Required: Over 1 day
Building your own ottoman is a relatively easy DIY project that will provide you with a stylish piece of furniture, a place to rest your feet, and a place to store items such as shoes or blankets.
Cut the pieces you need out of a 4’ x 8’ piece of plywood using the following dimensions:
- 29 ¾” wide for the front and back of the ottoman and lid.
- 22” wide for the sides of the ottoman and lid.
- 13 ¾” high for all four sides of the ottoman.
- 3” high for all four sides of the lid.
- You can also have the plywood cut at your local Home Depot. The four 2’ x 2’ inside corner supports are 9” high.
- Fold the edges of the fabric like you’re wrapping a Christmas present.
- Fold the fabric over the edges of the box to take up the slack for a clean look.
- Stretch the fabric over the bottom of the boxes and staple.
- Continue to fold over the excess fabric to keep everything as flat as possible.