Under 2 hours
Thanks to all the different varieties of Christmas lights – including string, icicle, net, novelty, rope and mini lights – the Christmas light ideas are endless. This guide will show you how to decorate for Christmas using common lights and accessories.
Build Wooden Box Christmas Presents
- Build boxes of different sizes made from wood.
- Cover them with a holiday-themed fabric that allows the light to shine out and fill with Christmas lights.
Decorate Your Stairs and Columns
Don’t forget the stairway when deciding how to decorate for Christmas. Wrap your stairs, posts or columns with lights in between strands of garland.
Brighten Your Mantel
Decorate your mantel with LED Christmas lights and garland.
Hang Lights Vertically
- Change things up by hanging strings of lights or lighted ornaments vertically from your roof along your porch or in trees.
- Wrap your chandelier or light fixture with Christmas lights and flowers.
Set Up an Alternative Outdoor Tree
- Wrap Christmas lights around the anchor arms of an 8-foot wooden pole.
- Start at the top of each arm and run Christmas lights all the way down to the bottom.
Use Multicolored Christmas Lights
Create a Heavenly Constellation
Strategically arrrange LED solar copper string lights along a wall to give the appearance of a constellation at night.
Add Battery-Operated Thin-Wire Christmas Lights
Place battery-operated thin wire Christmas lights inside a small jar or vase. You can also use lanterns, wine bottles, beer bottles and mason jars. These are great for areas with no electrical outlets nearby.
Use Multifunctional Exterior Lights
Get Creative with Icicle Lights
Icicle lights are a fun way to enhance that winter wonderland feeling. Hang them along your porch or patio, or higher up along the front door frame, for a frosty-looking accent.
Use these outdoor Christmas light ideas to bring some festive cheer to your home this season. Shop our selection for all your decorating needs. The Home Depot delivers online orders when and where you need them.