How to Maintain Your Weed Trimmer
Time Required: Over 1 day
Weed trimmers, also known as string trimmers, are extremely useful when caring for your outdoor space. A well-maintained trimmer can easily whack weeds and grass wherever necessary, as well as edge walks for a nice, neat appearance.
- The string may need to be replaced often, depending on use.
- Remove the disk.
- Dispose of any string left behind.
- Replace the air filter approximately every 90 days, based on wear and tear.
- Every three to four months, depending on use and level of dirt, empty the fuel tank and remove the spark plug.
- If the spark plug is brown, pour ¼ ounce of engine oil into the cylinder.
- Pull the starting cord several times to distribute the oil.
- If the spark plug is black, it needs to be replaced.
- After you’ve used the trimmer for the last time in the season, empty its fuel tank.
- For suggestions on proper fuel and waste practices, consult your local hazardous waste center.
- Check all screws and nuts, tightening as needed, before storing your trimmer away.