How to Make a Planter Wall
Time Required: 2-4 hours
A planter wall is a fresh and striking way to showcase your plant collection. Instead of shopping around for the perfect frame, create your own for a personalized touch that complements your unique style. This hanging wall can be painted or stained to match a specific color scheme or leave the materials in their natural state for a more rustic-looking texture. See below for instructions on how to make a floating planter wall.
- Cut the 2- x 8-inch x 8-foot lumber to the following lengths: (2) at 64-inches and (2) at 35-inches.
- Cut the 3/4- x 6-inch x 6-foot wood fence pickets into the following pieces: (11) at 38-inches.
Use a hacksaw to cut the metal rods to the proper length.
- Cut the1/4- x 48-inches plain steel round rod: (16) at 37-inches.
- Cut the 1/4- x 72-inches plain steel round rod: (8) at 63-inches.
- For the two 64-inch lumber pieces: Mark two rows 3/4-inch in from each edge at 4-inch / 12-inch / 20-inch / 28-inch / 36-inch / 44-inch / 52-inch / 60-inch.
- For the 35-inch lumber pieces: Mark two rows 3/4-inch in from edge at 8-inch / 16-inch / 24-inch / 32-inch. There will be a 4-inch space left after the 32-inch mark. This is the bottom of the planter.
- Tape drill bit at 1-inch. This will ensure that you don't drill too far. Drill holes with a 1/4-inch drill bit at marks 1-inch deep.
Tip: Snap a chalk line down the length of each board 3/4-inch in from the edge to make measuring faster and easier.
- Lay the assembled unit down on the ground and insert the steel rod into the holes. Make sure they are in holes firmly. Use a hammer to tap them into place if needed.
- Line the other 2- x 8- x 35-inch board on the opposite side, making sure the 4-inch space and holes match up with the opposite end. Insert the rod into holes – screw and glue to the bottom.
Line up the top piece and insert the rods into the holes vertically on the exterior of the horizontal rods. Screw and glue the lumber in place.
Building a custom planter wall is a fun and satisfying project for a DIYer. Need supplies for this project? Save time shopping with The Home Depot app. The Home Depot offers free delivery on over one million eligible items.