How to Use a Pressure Washer
Time Required: 2-4 hours
Over time, the surface of your deck or patio can become dull and dingy. Harsh weather, debris, pollen and various other factors can all prompt an outdoor cleaning session. With the right pressure washer accessories and a little guidance, your space can look fresh and tidy for the season. See below for detailed instructions on how to use a pressure washer.
Read our buying guide for help choosing the right pressure washer for your needs. If you'd rather rent, The Home Depot rents a variety of gas and electric pressure washers. Call or visit your local store or stop by for more information.
Pick a pressure washer nozzle tip that will best suit your needs:
- Red – straight and narrow spray pattern, ideal for tough stains and discoloration
- Yellow – 15-degree spray pattern, offers optimal pressure for concrete, brick and stone surfaces
- Green – 25-degree spray pattern, great for standard siding and decks
- White – softer, 35-degree spray pattern, designed specifically for windows
- Black – wider mist, for use with soap solutions
- Attach one end of your garden hose to the base of the pressure washer.
- Secure the other end to your outdoor water spigot.
- Make sure both ends are tight and secure, then turn on the water.