Installing an Evaporative Cooler
Time Required: Over 1 day
Evaporative coolers, also known as swamp coolers, work by pulling in fresh outside air through moist pads, where it is cooled by evaporation and circulated through the house by a large blower. These coolers typically are used where the air is hot and humidity low.
This guide outlines the steps for installing a window-mounted evaporative cooler.
- Mount the support hangers then assemble and install the support brackets following the manufacturer instructions.
- Build up the outside windowsill if needed to support the cool-air vent that goes through the window.
- Tap into the water line and run a water supply line to the cooler.
- Install a cut off valve that you can easily drain in the winter.
- Attach a hose to the overflow drain line of the cooler and run the hose on the ground, well away from the foundation.