Make a Valentine's Tic-Tac-Toe Game
Time Required: Under 2 hours
Get together and build a fun game your kids will love to celebrate on Valentine's Day. With a few simple tools, our kit and this workshop guide, you and your child can make a tic-tac-toe board, complete with a place to keep the pieces all together when you're not playing.
For this project, you will need a Home Depot Valentine’s Tic-Tac-Toe kit, which contains all the needed pieces to make one game board, including:
- 1 bottom board
- 1 divider board
- 1 game board
- 2 sides
- 1 front
- 1 back
- 10 game pieces
- 1 sticker sheet
- 4 long nails
- 8 short nails
You will also need fine sandpaper, wood glue and a hammer.
Before you begin, lightly sand each wood piece to remove any rough edges. Be sure to sand in the direction of the wood grain.
Tip: A hammer sized for your child will make it easier for them to complete the project. You can assist them with the use of a larger hammer, if needed.
- Lay both side pieces on the table with the slots facing down.
- Start 4 long nails into the nail holes.
- Stand the back piece up.
- Place one end of the nailed side piece on top. Make sure the slots are matching and the edges are even.
- Nail them together.
- Turn the project upside. Add thin lines of glue to the top edge.
- Place the bottom piece on top. Make sure all the edges are even.
- Using 8 short nails, nail the bottom piece in place.
- If you are painting the project, paint only the game pieces and the outside of the box.
- Allow the paint to dry completely.
Tip: Do not paint the boards or the slots. Getting paint into the slots will make the boards stick in place.
Once your project is complete, it can make a fun addition to your home games or even be given as a Valentine's gift. Place the game pieces inside the box to store them when you are not playing.
You and your child can work on this simple project together. Tic-tac-toe is a fun game that can be played together by all ages. This game is easily portable and packable, meaning your child can take the fun wherever they go.