Weatherproofing Your Windows
Time Required: Over 1 day
Windows can be the single largest source of energy loss in your home. This guide will teach you a few simple steps to eliminate drafts from the most common areas of a typical single- or double-hung window.
Tip: The surface must be at least 50 degrees for self-adhesive strips to stick.
- Flare out the open ends of the Weth-R-Strip with a putty knife to create a tight seal with the sash.
- Remove the adhesive backing and stick the vinyl in place.
- For double-hung windows, raise the bottom sash completely to the top, and then lower the upper sash a couple of inches.
- This reveals the lower rail, which is normally hidden.
- Seal with Weath-R-Strip weather stripping.
- If the top sash is stationary, tack tubular gasket to the outside of the lower sash so that it compresses slightly against the top sash when the window is locked shut.