Customize the storage space in your home by adding decorative shelving
Decorative shelving is a great way to make a unique display with convenient storage for your home. This guide will teach you how to make your own DIY shelf.
WHAT YOU NEED FOR THIS PROJECT
• Start by cutting your 2 x 6-inch and 2 x 8-inch boards using a miter saw.
• The 2 x 6-inch board will be cut to 30 inches long and the 2 x 8-inch board will be cut to 26 inches.
• If you so desire, you can update these sizes to customize and fit your space.
• Use a line of wood glue and a clamp to position the 2 x 6-inch board on top of the 2 x 8-inch board.
• You should have 2 extra inches on each side.
Tip: Pre-drill to keep your wood from splitting.
Use a drill or impact driver to drill 2.5-inch screws through the top of the 2 x 6-inch board and into the 2 x 8-inch board.
• Using the miter saw, cut your casing to fit the front of the 2 x 8-inch board.
• Leave a 45 degree angle on each end to allow you to wrap the edges.
• Use a line of wood glue to attach the trim to the board.
• Secure the trim with the brad nailer and 1.25-inch brad nails.
• Finish your shelf to fit your style.
• Once you have stained or painted your shelf, use the drill to attach your hooks evenly along the front of the 2 x 8-inch board.