A serving station is an easy way to add functionality to your patio
There are many ways to use a serving station, including as an outdoor bar or a case to display beautiful objects. If your serving station will come in direct contact with water, use pressure treated cedar or redwood boards.
WHAT YOU NEED FOR THIS PROJECT
• Use a circular saw to cut the 1” x 6” into two 18 ¾” pieces, two 22 ¼” pieces, one 17 ¼” piece, and one 10 7/8” piece.
• Cut the project panel into a 23 ¾” x 18” rectangle.
• Paint or stain the wood.
• Create a box using the 22 ¼” pieces for the top and bottom and the 18 ¾” pieces for the sides.
• Make sure that the top and bottom pieces fit between the side pieces.
• Double check that the outer measurements are 24” x 18 ¾”.
• Be careful to keep the box square then glue and nail each corner together.
• Insert the board measuring 17 ¼” near the center of the box.
• Make sure the 10 7/8” board fits horizontally on one side.
• Glue and nail the divider in place.
• Do the same with the 10 7/8” board, positioning it horizontally near the 9 3/8” mark.
• Secure it with wood glue and nails.
• Stand the box upright.
• Hold the table top up against the bottom.
• From there, pull it back about 1/8”, leaving just enough of a gap to then attach the two 3” utility hinges.
• With the box and table top still resting on the workbench, cut the chain in half.
• Measure back 2” and in 1”.
• Use two of the 5/8” screws to attach the chain.
• Stretch one side of the chain upward.
• Make sure the chain is taught then attach it to the inside of the box with another 5/8” screw
• You may need to cut off some excess chain with your pliers.
• Repeat the process on the other side.
• Close the table top against the box.
• Screw the eye into the side of the table top.
• Screw the hook into the outside of the box.
• Make sure the hook and eye are close enough to latch.
• Attach the two 3” corner braces to the inside of the top two corners of the box.
• Use the deck screws to mount it to the wall.
• Be sure to find a stud or hang it on another strong structure.
Stock your serving station and raise a glass to a job well done.