Create a floating planter display to showcase your favorite small plants
A planter wall is a fresh and striking way to showcase your plant collection. Instead of shopping around for the perfect frame, create your own for a personalized touch that complements your unique style. This hanging wall can be painted or stained to match a specific color scheme, or leave the materials in their natural state for a more rustic-looking texture. See below for instructions on how to make a floating planter wall.
What You Need
• Cut the 2- x 8-inch x 8-foot lumber to the following lengths: (2) at 64-inches and (2) at 35-inches.
• Cut the 5/8- x 5-1/2-inch x 6-foot wood fence pickets into the following pieces: (11) at 38-inches.
• Mark two rows ¾-inch in from each edge of the two (64-inch) 2- x 8- x 64-inch lumber pieces as follows:
4-inch / 12-inch / 20-inch / 28-inch / 36-inch / 44-inch / 52-inch / 60-inch
• Drill holes with a ¼-inch drill bit at marks 1-inch deep
*Tip: (tape drill bit at 1-inch to ensure you don’t drill too far).
• Mark two rows ¾-inch in from edge of the two (35-inch) 2- x 8- x 35-inch lumber pieces as follows: 8-inch / 16-inch / 24-inch / 32-inch (from bottom to top)
• Drill holes with a ¼-inch drill bit at marks 1-inch deep.
*Tip: (tape drill bit at 1-inch to ensure you don’t drill too far).*Tip: (tape drill bit at 1-inch to ensure you don’t drill too far).
• Stain or paint all lumber pieces.
• Spray paint the steel rods if desired.
• Screw and glue the 2- x 8- x 64-inch to the right side of the 2- x 8- x 35-inch board.
• Lay the assembled unit down on ground and insert the steel rod into the holes.
• Line up left side 2- x 8- x 35-inch insert rod into holes – screw and glue to the bottom.
• Line up top piece and insert rod into holes – screw and glue.
• Screw and glue the ½-inch wood fence picket to the back of the square to strengthen the unit.
Wire together where each rod intersects.
• Wire the front and back panels together in four places, keeping them 5 ¾-inches apart.
• Hang the unit using brackets hidden on the back for clean look. You may also screw eye hooks into the top board and hang with a rope or chain.
• Add your 14 pots as shown
• Plant herbs in each pot for your very own herb garden.