Enhance your home by adding a beautiful light fixture to any wall
Wall sconces and vanity lights are lighting fixtures that mount on vertical surfaces. Most wall fixtures attach to a ceiling box with a cross bar so you can easily adjust the fixture. This project guide will teach you the steps for a typical arrangement and give you a few tips for handling the more difficult ones.
WHAT YOU NEED FOR THIS PROJECT
Assemble the necessary tools before you begin to work and ensure that no power is present at the fixture before you begin work. DO NOT RELY on a wall switch to protect you from electrical shock.
• Test with a voltage meter.
• Remove the glass globe, shade, and bulb.
• Remove any nuts or screws holding the fixture in place.
• Carefully pull the fixture from the wall (pry if it has been painted in place); avoid yanking on the wires.
• If the fixture is heavy, use a piece of rope or twine to hold the fixture up while you disconnect the wires.
• Twist off the wire nuts that connect the wires.
• Strip 1/4-inch of insulation from the wire tips.
• Twist and connect wires: white to white, black to black, and copper to copper.
• Twist a plastic wire cap onto each connection.
• Fold the wires into the junction box, then place the fixture over the studs or nipple, then attach with the cover plate per the manufacturer's instructions.
• Install any globes or shades that go with your new fixture, then install the bulbs.
• Restore power to the fixture and check to ensure it operates correctly. If something doesn't work properly, be sure to turn the power back off at the breaker before you remove the fixture and check your connections.