Pedestals and stacking kits add convenience and save space for your front-loading washer dryer
Laundry pedestals raise front-loading washers and dryers by approximately one foot for added convenience. Stack kits enable front-loading washers and dryers to stack vertically to save space in your laundry room, basement or garage.
This buying guide will teach you about pedestals and help you determine which stack kits are compatible with your washer or dryer.
Remember when shopping: Laundry pedestals and stacking kits are sold separately online. Check your washer and dryer for stacking and pedestal compatibility, since not all models can be stacked.
Universal washer and dryer pedestals are metal platforms, or risers, installed beneath front-load washers and dryers. They provide increased accessibility and storage options as they reduce the amount of bending required to load and unload. Some advanced models hold up to six months of detergent and fabric softener that dispenses automatically with each wash cycle.
• Pedestals raise the height of washer and dryer units 12 to 16 inches.
• Only use pedestals for side-by-side installations.
• Coordinating laundry pedestals are available in store or online at the time you make your initial purchase.
• Pedestal delivery and installation is included with your initial appliance purchase.
• Pedestals purchased separately in stores are not eligible for free delivery or installation.
• Double-check that the width of your chosen pedestal is appropriately matched with your washer and/or dryer size.
Universal washer and dryer stacking kits are metal brackets that stack front-load dryers on top of front-load washers to save valuable floor space. They enable you to pair a washing machine and dryer in locations other than a laundry room for added convenience.
Installation Considerations and Safety Tips:
• Stacking kits are designed by the manufacturer for specific models and should be ordered when purchasing your laundry appliances. They are sold separately.
• Homemade stacking kits can void machine warranty. Only use manufacturer-approved kits.
• Not all washing machine and dryer models are compatible for stacking. Check the manufacturer's web site or your owner's guide to be sure your specific washer and dryer can stack together.
• The dryer must always be stacked on top of the washer as it weighs much less.
• Avoid stacking machines from different brands. If the mounting points do not match up, the stack may not be stable and could possibly topple during use.
• Measure the space intended for installation carefully. There will will need to be a few inches clearance on all sides of the stackable washer and dryer for venting and air circulation.
• Be sure to measure the final height of the washer and dryer prior to stacking and be sure you can comfortably reach both the washer and dryer openings.
• Washers and dryers cannot be stacked with a pedestal beneath as a pedestal can not support the weight of stacked units.
• After the washer and dryer are stacked, run a test cycle of the machines to be sure they are stable. If they sway or vibrate excessively, adjust the brackets of the stacking kit.